Trial Jar and Woodford Wherry questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart180

Reaction score
I just got all my kit delivered to start my first ever Woodford Wherry brew and it didn't come with a trial jar, my question is, do I need one immediately?
Can I just sterilise the Hydrometer and drop it straight into my brew to take my first reading?

I will get one on order from online as I guess dropping it in would be very difficult to do once the brew is fermenting.

Also, my other question was, when I do have a trial jar, do I just fill up from the keg tap (or do I need to get a reading from the top of the barrel?)

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys.

Was wondering how to go about filling the trial jar.... a turkey baster is perfect! :thumb:

Nipping into wilkos later as my web order has been delivered (trial jar and funnel), will pick up a baster.

Was also wondering - would it be a good Idea to pick up some brewing sugar for when I add to my brew to the keg? (also where is will do it's secondary fermentation).

Cheeers.

evanvine said:
You only really need to add sugar if you want to increase the %ABV.

Ah Ok.

Everywhere I've read seems to mention adding sugar ('priming') when finishing. (upping the ABV a little is no problem).

From what I read, it seems about 75 grams of sugar for a 40 pint kit is recommended, but there seems to be mixed advice on whether to use normal granulated sugar or brewing sugar.

Wilkos Brewing Sugar seems to get good reviews so I guess I will give it a go and see how it turns out.

Thanks, only got it going this weekend, so plenty of time to get it sorted.
The airlock has been bubbling away hypnotically.
Really looking forward to trying some in a 5 or 6 weeks time.

When you get the turkey baster, slowing squeeze the sample into the bottom of the trial jar each time rather than blast it in there like it is coming out of a pressure washer. It leads to much less froth - and is easier to read the hydrometer.
....as I learnt quite quickly from my own errors!!

Maysie said:
When you get the turkey baster, slowing squeeze the sample into the bottom of the trial jar each time rather than blast it in there like it is coming out of a pressure washer. It leads to much less froth - and is easier to read the hydrometer.
....as I learnt quite quickly from my own errors!!

Will do :thumb:

Couple more questions if anyone has any ideas.

I got a pressure barrel with my Brewing Kit, so I will be putting my brew into this once it's ready.
I have also got 6 swing-top bottles on order from Wilkos.

My question is, when Adding the 'priming' sugar, do I dissolve it first? (was thinking maybe taking a pint (or more if needed) out the barrel and warming it up on the hob and stir in the sugar and then put it in the barrel (does that sound like a good plan?)

Was then thinking of filling the bottles straight from the barrel and capping them and leaving it all somewhere warm for a few days before setting out in the out-building to settle and clear for a month or so.

Am I on the right lines there? or should I 'prime' the bottles first and get them filled and then move onto priming the barrel separately?

No answer to the last question, I'm just intrested in the final questions as I am bottling for the 1st time this weekend.

If it were me I would batch prime in the barrel, like this:

Make a syrup using half a pint(ish) of water and your priming sugar in a pan. Boil it for a couple of minutes in case there are any nasties. Cover the pan and let it cool before putting it all into your barrel.
Then syphon your beer from the FV into the barrel, drape the end of the syphon tube in the bottom so that the syrup mixes with the beer (without splashing of course!).

Then use a bottling wand/syphon tube to fill your bottles, then cap the rest off in the barrel. Job done. :thumb:

Thank you, sounds like a plan!
Will give it a go and see how it goes.
Cheers,
Stu

so silly question

How do you do the 'prime' without the 2nd bucket...?

Both my FV has brews in them this weekend so the 1st batch (at least) must be done in bottles or in the FV.

Can I simply add a spoon full of sugar to the bottles and top up with my home brew kit?

stuart180 said:
The airlock has been bubbling away hypnotically.

Really looking forward to trying some in a 5 or 6 weeks time.

And when you are on your fourth kit and you've had a few bottles of your first, just see how hypnotic it can get!!! :hat:

grandelf said:
How do you do the 'prime' without the 2nd bucket...?

Hmmmm yes, ideally you do need a 2nd bucket to batch prime. You can get a 25 litre cube for about £6.50. Or you can spoon sugar into each bottle. Better to batch prime though.

grandelf
Sorry, my reply above was specifically to suit the question from stuart180, ie priming the beer then decanting into 6 bottles, leaving the rest to condition in the barrel.

If you don't have a vessel (bucket or barrel or similar) into which you can batch prime, just add half a spoon of sugar to each bottle as Pjam has said above. I was fortunate (or should that be unfortunate?) to taste some beer that my friend had over-primed by spooning too much sugar into the bottles, it was so fizzy it just bloated you totally so I never use the bottle priming method as I have bottling bucket - I always batch prime.
Either way is fine though, so just do whichever suits you best. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back