Troubleshooting yeast recovery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaigonBlaze

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I haven't seen any threads addressing this specific problem, but I suspect it's one that a few brewers new to yeast recovery/recycling may have encountered.

Two weeks ago I brewed a big-ish (1.085) stout using 1x pack of Wyeast London Ale and then 2x Safale-04. Long story short, I wasn't paying much attention to yeast pitching rates, forgot to warm up/make a starter of the Wyeast and pitched it anyway. Fast forward - next day, no activity whatsoever (surprise, surprise), mild panic sets in and I dumped in some Safale - off it goes.

Aaanyway. Two days ago I moved the stout to the secondary and decide to recover some slurry for another stout I'm making this Saturday. Because it's so thick I mixed the slurry with a 1:1 ratio of water, allowed to settle and then poured the liquid and (very thin) layer of healthy while yeast into a smaller jar. This morning I've got this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzjWb07eCEkEQUViRVFjcUVVWFk/view?usp=sharing

Given how thin the layer of healthy yeast is, should I bother using this sample or ditch it? If I keep it, what's the best way to increase the cell count?

You can boil some water with dme. To make a starter. Leave it ferment for a few days. It will increase the amount of cells and you will see if the yeast is working.

Thanks Leon

I suspected a traditional starter would be the best way to go, but from YouTube videos saw folks with 1cm+ of healthy yeast. Needless to say I was a little concerned at my 2mm or so...

Latest posts

Back