True Teutonic Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spent Sunday brewing a 'true' lager.

The recipe is as follows:

4.5kg pale malt

200g Munich

200g Vienna

30g Northern Brewer
30g Hallertau Hersbrucker both @ the start of boil

30g Hallertau Hersbrucker @flameout

1 Protofloc tablet

After making lots of best bitters and stouts I found it weird to have such light wort and to be able to see the hops rolling through the bubbles.

Yeast was originally from Saflager which I have built up with two starters over about two weeks as I really wanted to get this party started on time. The lunchbox I use for starters was intriguing; the bottom-fermenting yeast fooled me at first and I was worried it wasn't working. Upon turning it over I saw the bottom of the mini-yeast cake with dimples and bubbles emanating from it.

I have no temperature control and so have spent the last 48 hours worrying and fretting that my F.V will be devoid of life. I put it in a garden-box which I use for bottles and have wrapped it in a sleeping bag. Yesterday I had a sneaky look and could see bubbles gathering on top. A quick temperature check told me that the wort was at about 16 degrees...phew!

Now: I suppose it's just a waiting game? The weather is set to stay pretty cold and I hope that the internal temperature of the wort will be warmer than the outside conditions, I imagine?

How long until I bring it in for its Diaceytl rest?

I can see why people don't usually bother with lager!

What's a true lager? No lager malt?

Not firmilar with the yeast but you can let it drop a couple of degrees. I would ferment for 3 weeks and then raise the temp for the rest.

I know, I know. I'm a sham. I used pale malt with some added extras because I didn't have lager malt.

The yeast is what makes me feel qualified for that statement, the hops too.

Thanks for the advice. :-)

Here it is.

IMAG5209.jpg

Latest posts

Back