Lager has stalled

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a lager following the brulosohy lager method - initial fermentation at lager temp then raise temperature to complete fermentation.

It spent 6 days at 10c and was fermenting nicely, had a bit of a mishap with the brewfridge which meant it spent a few hours at 16 when fermentation went a bit quicker which I corrected as soon as I spotted it. Allowed temperature to climb to 18 and fermentation was really slow. Took a gravity reading today (day 10) and its still at 1.024 and the bubbles in the airlocks are minutes apart. OG was 1.054.

I've given them a swirl to see if it rouses the yeast (Mangrove Jack's Bohemian).

I'm tempted to stick some Nottingham in there as it can cope with a non-aerated wort to finish off the conversion.

I'm making a lager following the brulosohy lager method - initial fermentation at lager temp then raise temperature to complete fermentation.

It spent 6 days at 10c and was fermenting nicely, had a bit of a mishap with the brewfridge which meant it spent a few hours at 16 when fermentation went a bit quicker which I corrected as soon as I spotted it. Allowed temperature to climb to 18 and fermentation was really slow. Took a gravity reading today (day 10) and its still at 1.024 and the bubbles in the airlocks are minutes apart. OG was 1.054.

I've given them a swirl to see if it rouses the yeast (Mangrove Jack's Bohemian).

I'm tempted to stick some Nottingham in there as it can cope with a non-aerated wort to finish off the conversion.
That sounds fine tome, though I do not brew lagers myself, as I have no temp control, but at 18 Nottingham is supposed to ferment fairly clean.

Stuck some Notty in one of the demis yesterday lunchtime. No noticeable change so far (although there is time). I'm starting to think about the mash, maybe I've got a lot of unfermentable in there. I used Hana Heritage and acidulated malt. I'm wondering if I should have used more acidulated ? I did check it with a recipe builder and got the green tick.

Talking myself into doing another brew here, I've got enough Hana left to do another 10 litres and some Bavarian yeast. I've also got a pH meter that I could actually take out my pocket and use :roll:.

They have been at room temperature in the house since the 4th August and for the last 3 or 4 days one of the demis was bubbling once every 2 mins and the other every minute. Both were starting to clear. So yesterday I moved the 2 minute bubbler into the brew fridge set at 5 degrees to start it clearing properly.

Tonight I checked the 1 minute bubbler and it was cloudy again and bubbling every 6 seconds, 10 times faster than yesterday :oops: . Is it because it is a bit warmer today or has it got its second wind ? Not going to get the other one out of the fridge though.

Is it because it is a bit warmer today or has it got its second wind ? Not going to get the other one out of the fridge though.

Most probably. I did wonder why you popped the other in the fridge. The last thing struggling yeast need is chilling.

Rousing & +2c is standard advice.

Good Temp control will help you out no end. But don't be tempted to dump these, I think they will get there, but might not be quite what you intended.

Most probably. I did wonder why you popped the other in the fridge. The last thing struggling yeast need is chilling.

Rousing & +2c is standard advice.

Good Temp control will help you out no end. But don't be tempted to dump these, I think they will get there, but might not be quite what you intended.
I've got temp controlled brew fridge but only the one asad1and its got a full corny keg in there so it has to be kept cold. One isn't enough is it ? I put the 2 minute bubbler in there because I thought it was done and I wanted to speed up the clearing.

The other one has slowed a bit but still going. The room it is in is the same as yesterday - 20c (always keep a thermometer next to whatever is brewing) which is OK I think. I do have the kit to rig up a temperature controlled bath (fish tank heaters, pumps etc.) so I could push the temp up a few degrees.

Dump them ???? ashock1ashock1ashock1 I'm from Yorkshire and it's against the law there.

So yesterday I couldn't resist the temptation to assemble some tech. Its now in a water bath a 21c. Last night it had slowed to 15 second bubbles, this morning it is back up to 6 seconds. Could be morning yeast 🙂.

Seriously thinking about bringing the one in the brew fridge back out.

So yesterday I couldn't resist the temptation to assemble some tech. Its now in a water bath a 21c. Last night it had slowed to 15 second bubbles, this morning it is back up to 6 seconds. Could be morning yeast 🙂.

Seriously thinking about bringing the one in the brew fridge back out.
I have a Cooper's real ale that is bubbling very slowly. Slow for this time of year. This is my first brew in the garage. All others this year have been in the kitchen diner, although the temp should be similar, maybe a bit cooler in the garage at night. The air lock is still under pressure though, so I'm guessing there may be a small leak from the lid (plastic tub fermenter 24l). I haven't removed the lid. I figure let sleeping dogs lie. If it's postive pressure no infection should get in. Due to bottle tomorrow, but may leave it a few more days. I don't usually check SG, I just wait till the pressure in the air lock is neutral. Fingers crossed.

I have a Cooper's real ale that is bubbling very slowly. Slow for this time of year. This is my first brew in the garage. All others this year have been in the kitchen diner, although the temp should be similar, maybe a bit cooler in the garage at night. The air lock is still under pressure though, so I'm guessing there may be a small leak from the lid (plastic tub fermenter 24l). I haven't removed the lid. I figure let sleeping dogs lie. If it's postive pressure no infection should get in. Due to bottle tomorrow, but may leave it a few more days. I don't usually check SG, I just wait till the pressure in the air lock is neutral. Fingers crossed.
I had a turbo cider fermenting under pressure in a PB in the shed a while back with a temperature probe measuring the barrel and air temps. It was an experiment. The air temp varied between 16 at night and 25 when it was sunny which pulled the cider between 18 and 22. I would image your garage will be coolish. Stick a thermometer in there and have a look.

My poor sleeping dogs tend to get a lot of prodding :D

Stuck some Notty in one of the demis yesterday lunchtime. No noticeable change so far (although there is time). I'm starting to think about the mash, maybe I've got a lot of unfermentable in there. I used Hana Heritage and acidulated malt. I'm wondering if I should have used more acidulated ? I did check it with a recipe builder and got the green tick.

Talking myself into doing another brew here, I've got enough Hana left to do another 10 litres and some Bavarian yeast. I've also got a pH meter that I could actually take out my pocket and use :roll:.
Dug out the pH meter for my next brew (an American inspired thing with flaked corn in it) and the battery was flat.

Try again next brew.

Left them alone for a while and checked in on them today. The one that was bubbling every 7 seconds or so is now down to over a minute. The slow one is now bubbling every 7 seconds and the activity (lots of little bubbles) is quite visible. Its been over a month now, not exactly a quick process :roll: . By comparison the American corn thing I made 5 days ago has stopped completely.

So the slow one is going in the fridge to crash then I'll probably bottle it along with the American corn thing next weekend.

Bottled them. The one I'd kept in the house had got down to 1.008 and the one I cold crashed was at 1.011. Strangely the one that got down to 1.008 tasted sweeter than the other but that might be because the higher gravity one was cold. The cold one also tasted a bit green apple.

Anyway, leave them to carb for a while and then in the fridge for a few weeks.

Back