Try it and see recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob11TC

Reaction score
Hi all
So I normally do clone recipes or something out of GH's book. Whilst they are ok they never seem to be the same as the original, it could be the way I brew or I'm expecting commercial level from myself (which I'll never be) I do AG in my brewdevil 30l.
So thought would have a go at something and see what happens. Probably should go and do a few smash brews first but this is currently brewing.
Any thoughts?

5kg maris otter
310g torrified wheat
240g dark crystal
20g chocolate
55g challenger 60mins
25g EKG 10mins
25g Fuggle 30 min hopstand
Safale s04 (all I had)

Hi all
So I normally do clone recipes or something out of GH's book. Whilst they are ok they never seem to be the same as the original, it could be the way I brew or I'm expecting commercial level from myself (which I'll never be) I do AG in my brewdevil 30l.
So thought would have a go at something and see what happens. Probably should go and do a few smash brews first but this is currently brewing.
Any thoughts?

5kg maris otter
310g torrified wheat
240g dark crystal
20g chocolate
55g challenger 60mins
25g EKG 10mins
25g Fuggle 30 min hopstand
Safale s04 (all I had)
Looks really good. Reckon it might be quite bitter - what AA is the challenger? Oh, and don't be sure you won't reach 'commercial level', it's quite a broad church!

Didn't hit numbers very well 2 points below pre boil and 3 points below fg. Did a few mistakes, added a bit more water at pre boil then realised I had my malt pipe draining in my bucket so got about another 1.5l before boil. When transferring to fermenter, slashed my brewdevil so left a bit more than I would normally in that. 65% brewhouse. Then got carried away and pitched yeast at 27. It's in the fridge now cooling...

Didn't hit numbers very well 2 points below pre boil and 3 points below fg. Did a few mistakes, added a bit more water at pre boil then realised I had my malt pipe draining in my bucket so got about another 1.5l before boil. When transferring to fermenter, slashed my brewdevil so left a bit more than I would normally in that. 65% brewhouse. Then got carried away and pitched yeast at 27. It's in the fridge now cooling...
Everyone makes mistakes, it's about how you respond and what you learn though isn't, and it sounds like you made beer 🍺 🤘

Definitely. The only problem is I remember when I start my brew but then forget dead quick..😂😂

In fridge still cooling a little

Attachments

• 20211009_172016.jpg
    20211009_172016.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 30
In my limited experience that looks alright! My initial thought was too much crystal but it'll probably be fine. I like "bitter" beers too!
Make sure you keep us informed!

Back