TTL problem, can you advise?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stee41

Reaction score
Hi brewers,
recently went to AG, and made a TT Landlord, I followed a few recommendations to boil the first few litres of wort until thickened and add it back to the grain, I did this but as the wort started to thicken I bottled the process and added it back after 15 minutes as it was only slightly thick, I fermented the wort out to 1.012 and now have a burnt smell and taste to the wort but it definately didnt stick to the pan while I was boiling it!! I am hoping this smell will fade with time as it matures in the keg, does anyone know if this is normal or have I stuffed my brew?

Couple of questions. 1. Did you remove the wort (for boiling/reducing) after all runnings were in the kettle or did you remove if from the first runnings. 2. Did you remove the wort before adding any hops.

Cheers,

Screwy

Couple of questions. 1. Did you remove the wort (for boiling/reducing) after all runnings were in the kettle or did you remove if from the first runnings. I ran about 2 litres off the first runnings from the mash tun boiled for about 15 mins, it had thickened slightly and reduced, but did not stick to the pan or smell of burning, I then added this back to the mash tun and then went through the whole sparging process2. Did you remove the wort before adding any hops.Yes all of the wort had been run off into my keggle before adding any hops

:wha:

Just run a half off the keg and there is no burnt smell or taste!!! I'm well pleased, thanks for all your help and advice guys, must take more care next time! :cheers:

Back