Turbo cider help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnie

Reaction score
I've never done a cider before so I thought i'd have a go at turbo cider as it seems pretty simple. Picked up some juice from Costco at £6.70 for 12 litres. But i've got a few questions. When do I bottle and how much sugar do I add to each bottle? Also do I need to add a campden tablet at some point? I read somewhere that you add one tablet to each gallon. I'm doing a 5 gallon batch, so would I have to add 5 tablets?

You could use a hydrometer to bottle at typical beer/cider finishing gravities (which IIRC are around 1002 to 1005)
OR
you could do what I do, and bottle when it's just starting to clear - it'll finish clearing in the bottle.

As with beer, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar per pint for priming.

Then leave it somewhere warmish for a week so the yeast works on the priming sugar, then somewhere cold for a couple of weeks so the CO2 from that gets absorbed nito the liquid.

Few people bother with Campden, partyl coz it gets drink before it has a chance to go bad, partly coz the still-working yeast prevents oxidation anyway. Just try not to expose it to more air then you have to when bottling, but don't worry about it too much, it'll be fine.

Marrsy86 said:
oldbloke said:
You could use a hydrometer to bottle at typical beer/cider finishing gravities (which IIRC are around 1002 to 1005)

I let my TC go down to 0.995 then back sweeten if required.

Do they still manage to produce a bit of fizz during bottle conditioning when you do it like that?

I usually have my cider flat anyway but when I do make a fizzy batch I just add around a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle and it gets a nice fizz.

Latest posts

Back