Turbo Cider Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyvb

Reaction score
Hi all, newby here and m first post

I'm new to home brewing but I know basics etc

I'm currently brewing some Turbo Cider in a demi

3 liters Asda apple juice
1 litre asda mixed berry juice
2 teabags mixed for tanning
200g brewing sugar
Yeast from local store - not An expensive yeast but is cider yeast - said on packet for 25litre
I've added yeast nutrient too
Shaken all together in demijohn

Before adding the berry juice I boiled in saucepan and dissolved the 200g sugar into that then added to Demi
I took a reading of 1.060 start

Temp is around 24degree and 1 day into ferment
It's off like a good one.. Glugging every 2 secs

My worry is my brew has big white fluffy bits floating about now
They was all sat on top like a crust but now sank and because of the fermentation they are buzzing all over the Demi
Also a white foam on top
I have brewed wines before and I've not had this white stuff

It looks like bread flakes but smaller

Is that ok and will it settle down
I have room to add more apple juice in a day or so

I have added some photographs of my concern

Will the brews be affected if you every add to much yeast - I noticed it was for 25l so I added quarter of the packet

I must state I give a equipment a very good clean an sanitize and rinsed with warm water

I hope the brew is not infected

Any info is all appreciated

Thank you

image.jpg

It looks normal to me, you want to see the state of the litre of red grape juice and berries mixed with a litre of apple juice and raspberry i have fermenting at the moment, it looks like someone has poured a cup full of cat litter into both DJ's, most of it is floating but some has settled.

232749011_0_640x640.jpg

Thanks for reply

Well glad you say it's ok. It just looks so filthy lol
Bits floating about

Looks a it like curdled milk

Hope it settles
I've taken airlock off an give a sniff and smells fruity and ok

Just the floating bits and white scummy film on top
Hope it doesn't affect cider ...

Will this colour clear a lot better... As when I first mixed together it was a nice dark red colour

Looks fine to me. The little floaties are just your excess yeast since you put in "plenty". They'll settle as sediment and you can rack into another dj if so inclined.
My ciders never really last long enough to clear completely, but you can use pectolase, finings etc as you would in wine if that's important to you.

Thank you for replies

I've just checked again
Still glugging away am not as many bits but still aplenty

I'll keep an eye on it

I have added pectolase - I forgot to mention on my first post...

I added at the start when mixing together

Ok if I was to use fining would it be just wine finings??

Also can anyone please answer if possible ? Can you over yeast? What would happen with to much yeast. Say you accidentally put a satchet for 25l into a 5l Demi?? Would that be a problem ?

I have found juices with puree in it seems to throw up a lot of floaters, but if you are careful when syphoning it makes no odds.

I use kwiK clear wine and beer finings it is th fastest i have used and i now use nothing else.

Don't worry about the yeast only so many cells can survive in a given space and there is only so much sugar for the yeast to convert.

No such thing as too much yeast though it might make the brew a bit whiffy smellwise if you leave it sitting on the sediment. The smell will clear in a day or so once it's taken off the sediment.

I use general purpose yeast, so it might not even happen with cider yeast.

Latest posts

Back