Turbo Cider - Smell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbieD

Reaction score
Hi, just racked a gallon of turbo cider ready to prime and bottle and i am a little worried about the smell, as it isnt very plesant... ? :sick:

Is this normal because of the yeast or is it more likely that is got comtaminated?

Its been in the Demi for 2 weeks and is still cloudy

any ideas?

Thanks
Rob
:hmm:

is it a sulphury/ eggy fart smell? then yeah thats normal, and you dont like it :shock: ?! the coopers european lager stays like that for about 3 months!

Thanks, thats made me feel better..... I guess either way i was'nt going to waste it :D

I had better just plan to keep the lager for longer, may even get of my **** and make it tomorrow

Rob

Rob

I have just drank 2 bottles of my first ever turbo cider, so you will have to forgive any spelling mistakes.

I did two identical 1 gallon demijohns, except I brewed one with Youngs cider yeast, the other with Youngs champagne yeast. Usual type of recipe (apple juice, cup of silly strong tea, juice of half a lemon, half teaspoon of glycerol, about 85g of sugar, think that was all), and they both fermented away mentally. Due to work commitments / patterns, they were left in the demis for 3 weeks, then bottled with either a whole or half a teaspoon of sugar per bottle (the cider yeast ones went into 1 pint bottles, champagne yeast ones half pint bottles). They were also back sweetened with one splenda tablet per bottle.

The cider yeast ones didn't smell that good, but tasted ok at the bottling stage. The champagne yeast ones smelt horrid and tasted not nice.

They were left in the warm for 5 days, didn't appear to be doing owt so were given a bit of gentle agitation to awake the yeast and left a bit more. Then, after another week, when I had given up hope, they were chucked into my multi-million pound conditioning facility (i.e. the outside shed) for a week.

I opened a bottle of each tonight, expecting little.

They're freaking fantastic! The lesson I have learned is that patience, optimism, and time are your friends.

Oh, and given the amount of times I've had to re-read this and correct errors, Turbo cider is bloomin' strong!!!

jjsh said:
They're freaking fantastic! The lesson I have learned is that patience, optimism, and time are your friends.
Oh, and given the amount of times I've had to re-read this and correct errors, Turbo cider is bloomin' strong!!!
When I do a 24 ltr TC I bottle 6ltrs in 500ml PETs.
Now here's the rub, I leave them for 6 months!
I may be ott, but it's worth it!
Pleased to hear of your success jjsh. :thumb:

Excellent news, i think i can do patience so long as I get more on the go!!
pleased to hear yours tastes so good, i may have to just do a 25L batch next time ready for the summer drinking.

I will let you know how i get on

Oh and the kit lager thing is proabbly because i have in my signature that im waiting to do some

Thanks again

Rob

Latest posts

Back