Turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Hi I recently made turbo cider with lidl apple juice and crossmyloof cider yeast. I used 18l apple juice about 500ml boiling water with four tea bags in it and when kegging put another two litre of the apple juice in to back sweeten.. Was a lovely cider all gone now doh.. Was wondering could I make a batch of thirty litres or so add 1kg of suger and then split between two kegs adding few litre of vimto in one and just a few litres of apple juice in the other one.. My hydrometer broke so am unaware what percent last cider was put it seemed to pack a bit of a punch would that much suger be to much to add. I'll be adding about five litres of juice in keg to dilute it down and back sweeten Any help or advice much appreciated

Won't it start fermenting again if you add more juice? I thought back sweetening was done with non fermentable sugars...but then I could be totally wrong!

Won't it start fermenting again if you add more juice? I thought back sweetening was done with non fermentable sugars...but then I could be totally wrong!
Yeah it would but when it's in keg and cold yeast will not be active and go dorment and will just drop out to bottom .. if left at room temperature it would ferment alright... Or at least that's my understanding never had issue with it

Last edited:
I'm going to have a go at a small batch of TC imminently (enforced break in brewing beer on account of the brew fridge being ****ed).

I'm using champagne yeast, so likely end up quite dry. I have acquired some stevia (someone left it at work) and wondered if anyone had experience of using it to back sweeten?

I'm going to have a go at a small batch of TC imminently (enforced break in brewing beer on account of the brew fridge being ****ed).

I'm using champagne yeast, so likely end up quite dry. I have acquired some stevia (someone left it at work) and wondered if anyone had experience of using it to back sweeten?
I used other sweeteners before that were unfermentable but wasn't impressed with what I got and was still pretty dry that's why I started with the juice and seems to be good as it also adds back fruit flavours that can be lost during fermentation

I used other sweeteners before that were unfermentable but wasn't impressed with what I got and was still pretty dry that's why I started with the juice and seems to be good as it also adds back fruit flavours that can be lost during fermentation
Cheers. Might experiment using some in a bottle or 2 only then.

Thar she be! 4 litres of apple juice (not from concentrate), slug of black tea for tannin, sugar syrup made from what was left in the bag, and a sachet of rehydrated CML champagne yeast. Job's a good 'un (I hope!).
DSC_0209.JPG

How posh are you!!! Air lock and everything!

My TC brews just get a balloon over the top with a pin hole in it. Or more recently some cling film and an elastic band cos the child stole the balloons...
Have to admit, I tend not to add sugar, they still come out about 5% or thereabouts. Any higher and it stops being a quaffing drink in the sun

How posh are you!!! Air lock and everything!

My TC brews just get a balloon over the top with a pin hole in it. Or more recently some cling film and an elastic band cos the child stole the balloons...
Have to admit, I tend not to add sugar, they still come out about 5% or thereabouts. Any higher and it stops being a quaffing drink in the sun
I'm well posh me! Anyway, that airlock came in handy, I could see active fermentation after about an hour and a half of pitching the yeast.

I didn't bother taking a gravity reading, so it'll be whatever it'll be. Will quaff (sun or no sun) regardless!

Latest posts

Back