Two Can 'All Malt' Kits. Are they really better?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maysie

Regular.
Reaction score
I am still learning the ropes when it comes to beer brewing but have really enjoyed the brews and brewing/bottling processes that I have done so far. I am still brewing with kits and to date have always stuck with the twin-can 'all malt' kits as I have assumed these are generally better than the single can kits that require brewing sugar/spraymalt to be added.

Now I clearly have nothing on which to base my 'prejudice' against single can kits as I have never yet tried one, so what do you more experienced kit brewers think about the comparative quality of these kits?

Are the twin can kits better and if so what does 'better' really mean? More flavoured? Stronger? Smoother? Rounded?

Or am I just being an ill-informed kit-snob who has been sucked in by the marketing bumf which sells twin can kits as being 'premium'...?

I know there is a few pounds between twin-can kits vs single can + sugar/spraymalts etc, but there really isn't that much difference per pint so presumably that cant be a deciding factor when choosing one over the other. I have a couple of single can kits on order to do a comparison taste-test, but wont be able to judge the results for myself until 8+ weeks time from now when they are ready to be supped.

what does 'better' really mean? More flavoured? Stronger? Smoother? Rounded?
2 can kits offer most of what you have identified except stronger, they generally don't try to be stronger. Because the manufacturer has invested more effort in making the kit they are more flavoured, smoother and generally rounded, in effect they are very complete.

And here's where the BUT comes in (certainly for me) the 1 can kits I think offer a platform for experimentation which is more expansive than the 2 can kits. You can have a great time adding hops and other adjuncts into a 1 can kit to see what effect they have and to develop a beer that you have invented and that you like.

So they can be more fun than the 2 can kits and when they go on sale they can be incredibly cheap - see Tesco's last November, £2.74 per can.

I see homebrewing as a spectrum with kits maybe at one end spreading over to AG brewing, all are valid ways of making an alcoholic drink that is IMHO better than commercial beer/wine or whatever.what does 'better' really mean? More flavoured? Stronger? Smoother? Rounded?

I like the marriage of science and craftsmanship in the hobby and if you are a sociable character then its a great way to grease the wheels of a party at a reasonable cost in financial terms!

Some of the one-can kits can be very good indeed - for example Coopers Stout. See the reviews for other excellent one-can kits.

And as has been said, when you get them for silly prices you can have fun experimenting not just in the ways already mentioned but even combining one-can kits. I got some John Bull Mild kits for £6.50 the other day that are probably fine as they are (after all there is not much they have to get right with a mild!) and I have already put 2 on as per instructions... but will jazz up one to attempt to get it more porter- or stout-like by adding another can... not sure what yet... plus some extra dark DME, some wheat DME for better head retention, some whisky cask oak chips and so on.

OK it will end up as expensive as buying a Coopers Stout in the first place... but will be more fun and I will learn from it, even if all I learn is how to mess up a good mild.

Thanks for the well considered replies guys, very useful! :thumb:

I had never really thought of the increased scope for 'playing around' with the brew that the single can kits offer as I had become slightly over-focused on the comparative quality of the kits 'out of the can' rather than thinking about what I could bring to the flavours myself.

I also think I had been rather put off by their 'bargain basement' image when they can be bought so cheaply while on sale etc. The old 'cant get something for nothing' adage. :wha:

I know, I know - but some of the reviews, even of the super-cheap Youngs Harvest range - suggest they make drinkable beers, even unmodified.

In my limited experience it depends what kit you get.

I find the Brewferm one can kits are really good as they are and the Coopers stout is fantastic too with some extra malt extract added. I think you just have to be selective about them.

Sometimes topping a one can kit up with extra malt or enhancer can actually bring the cost closer to a two can kit so there's not a great deal of difference.

For me, the reviews on this site have been an excellent guide in terms of which are good and which aren't. I was reluctant to go for one can kits at first assuming the more expensive ones would be better but there are some great one can kits.

There's almost no situation with all grain brewing where you'd use 1kg of sugar in a 4% brew...it's a means to an end to keep costs down on both production and consumer sides. 2 can kits are all malt, so it's a step closer to higher quality brewing.

Naturally, there's good and bad 1 can kits, good and bad 2 can kits, that'll always be the truth. Coopers Stout is an excellent brew even with 1kg sugar, same with some of their lagers that suit a dryer palette. Simple fact of it is, if something has a lot of good reviews, it's probably a good beer.

LeithR said:
what does 'better' really mean? More flavoured? Stronger? Smoother? Rounded?
2 can kits offer most of what you have identified except stronger, they generally don't try to be stronger. Because the manufacturer has invested more effort in making the kit they are more flavoured, smoother and generally rounded, in effect they are very complete.

And here's where the BUT comes in (certainly for me) the 1 can kits I think offer a platform for experimentation which is more expansive than the 2 can kits. You can have a great time adding hops and other adjuncts into a 1 can kit to see what effect they have and to develop a beer that you have invented and that you like.

So they can be more fun than the 2 can kits and when they go on sale they can be incredibly cheap - see Tesco's last November, £2.74 per can.

I see homebrewing as a spectrum with kits maybe at one end spreading over to AG brewing, all are valid ways of making an alcoholic drink that is IMHO better than commercial beer/wine or whatever.what does 'better' really mean? More flavoured? Stronger? Smoother? Rounded?

I like the marriage of science and craftsmanship in the hobby and if you are a sociable character then its a great way to grease the wheels of a party at a reasonable cost in financial terms!

+1 on all the above. Can't fault any of the Festival 2 can kits but you wouldn't want to muck around and experiment with £25+ kit. Cheap 1 can kits on the other hand are perfect for playing with. I took delivery last month of various hop pellets (from the good man Mr Malt Miller) and have been experimenting with these and 1 can kits - much fun!

Based on the advice above, I have decided that my Coopers Stout 1 can kit is next up to bat in the FV.
I have brewing sugar and spraymalt ready and waiting to go, so just need a top-up of patience (and the current brew to finish in the FV) then I will be ready to get cracking!

Latest posts

Back