UK must redouble its efforts .......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This all seems like something I predicted when we voted to leave the eu
I said that some big events would happen so we all have to unite and before you know it we never left the eu
It's all just Shock Doctoring

This all seems like something I predicted when we voted to leave the eu
I said that some big events would happen so we all have to unite and before you know it we never left the eu
It's all just Shock Doctoring

You're suggesting that a terrible event which occurred in France was somehow orchestrated in order to stop the UK leaving the EU? No, actually, don't worry about trying to explain..

When they take away your right to be armed they take away your right to defend yourself

This.

Chippy, there are guns available freely on the black market, and legally to. Your right it won't stop terrorism at all. But will give you a chance to defend yourself and others. There are plenty of legal gun owners that went crazy.

Anders breivik
The batman cinema shooting guy.
Sandy hook
That gospel church one

To only name a few. If someone had access to a gun at these times. Or someone confident enough to own one concealed carry licence. They could have attempted to stop the carnage.

Suppose the true answer is there's nothing we can do.

Anniversary of srebrenica this weekend too. That's the other way round completely.

You're suggesting that a terrible event which occurred in France was somehow orchestrated in order to stop the UK leaving the EU? No, actually, don't worry about trying to explain..

When has anyone won against the establishment they always use shock to sell us stuff we don't like just check history

i have lived in a country where practically everyone could use firearms (ie properly trained) and many carried at all times..(i carried an FN r1, uzi or G3 on the farm 24/7 from about 14-15 along with an assortment of other toys and could field service about a dozen common weapons at about 12-13) other than terrorism we had little to no trouble but then again we had an education, manners and respect.....

We can look at the whys and wherefore of religion and guns and still not agree and the politicians can bluster we will redouble our efforts but none of this will stop individual acts of spontaneous or planned terrorism. You cannot change or win an argument with extremists or even exclude them what you have to do is stop them.Instead of looking at the big things the security forces need to start looking at the detail instead.

The truck could have been stopped when the police asked the driver where he was going and he said he was delivering Ice Cream, Did anyone thing to even look in the cab where they may have seen guns or looked in the back to see if there was any ice cream? These are the simple things that may deter or stop iextremists , simple hassle and intent to stop may put off more intended attacks.
I think in the UK we have a more robust approach to such occasions, for instance when the Olympics were on in 2012 they installed heavy metal barriers around St James Park to stop just such attacks and at the time I thought it was well over the top but in hindsight who knows it may just have stopped any plans to attack in Newcastle for all I know
Maybe more countries may have to start installing such barriers for use on important days or events and being much more nitpicking instead of just believing the driver at face value. We expect this level of scrutiny on an airplane and tolerate it so why not on such a national occasion with thousands of people in attendance. The barriers are still there in Newcastle for any future events and were used again at last Years Rugby Wold cup to exclude ALL traffic near the ground. It sends a message saying we know you might attack but we are expecting that!

Human rights are whatever we decided they are, nothing more, nothing less... We managed without such laws perfectly well just a few years ago. They may not be intended to protect terrorists but that's how they are used... We can't extradite Mr x to there because despite his involvement in several bombings the government may use torture or have the death penalty. ...

Actually, we have had The Geneva Conventions since 1864 to define the basic rights of combatants and non-combatants in times of war.

The current problem is that our government is very reluctant to declare war because it is impossible to define who is the enemy.

However, we can define who is not the enemy. It is not a specific country, it is not a specific religion, it is not a specific geographical or economic region etc.

The "enemy" is actually a group of people who have certain common beliefs which give rise to grievances against various governments and societies; and they use what are termed "terror tactics" in an attempt to further these beliefs.

Their tactics are abhorrent to us and will probably not work in the long-term but unless our leaders and ourselves start to address their concerns we will never stop them.

Before anyone should think otherwise, I DO NOT in any way sympathise with or condone the terror tactics that are being employed.

However, I do wish people would consider a British War Film that was produced in 1943. The suicide bomber in The Silver Fleet (played by Ralph Richardson) is lauded as a hero simply because he blows himself up, with a German submarine and its crew, on behalf of the Allies.

The fact that they could of taken him alive for questioning but didn't is highly suspicious. It always seems to be the same.

While it's a lovely idea, taking prisoners with people who have no qualms about blowing themselves and anyone in the vicinity up makes this a particularly high risk occupation. .. I would have been worried about the potential for that truck to have 20 tonnes of explosive in it.....

Here's a saying to contemplate:

"If you are prepared to pay the price, the law does not exist."​

The saying holds good for everything from dropping litter to mass murder.

To stop both of these activities takes education and a sense of moral responsibility; and punishment alone will not prevent either act.

Latest posts

Back