Ukraine: Russia has launched 'full-scale invasion'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They used to call Ukraine " The USSR's bread basket". Isn't a lot of arable land in Russia. Don't think this is Putin's reason but there is a benefit to Russia having a puppet government in Ukraine.

I agree Sam this could kick off big time, also there is Putins mate in Belarus he has been keeping his head down after all the distractions on the Polish border while Vlad got everything in place, my view is now the free world should stand up to this maniac who is killing hard working decent people who have done nothing to deserve this, Putin is a fool if he thinks he can recreate the ussr to it's former self the world has moved on

I agree Sam this could kick off big time, also there is Putins mate in Belarus he has been keeping his head down after all the distractions on the Polish border while Vlad got everything in place, my view is now the free world should stand up to this maniac who is killing hard working decent people who have done nothing to deserve this, Putin is a fool if he thinks he can recreate the ussr to it's former self the world has moved on
If it kicks off I am heading to the back **** of Donegal with as much homebrew as I can carry

EU/NATO will write a strongly worded letter, Putin will ignore it, and consolidate his gains.
Why did Russia do this? Because the Ukraine borders the major supply routes for all Russian oil. Having a state like that join NATO was strategically unacceptable to Russia.
Not a single European nation will send its soldiers to fight and die for Ukrainian independence, especially after the US abandoned Afghanistan.

Russia has invaded Ukraine!! What shall we do ?

Light up our buildings in the colours of the Ukraine flag........that'll show him good!!

Putin is a patriot, a strategist, is determined, and is smart. He’s also deeply angry (still) about the collapse of the Soviet Union when he was head of the KGB. Since then he’s seen those independent countries join the West and NATO, bringing the western threat closer to home. A buffer between the great superpowers of the East and West is helpful. Putin would like to see the Soviet Union restored in some way but that’s never going to happen when those countries are part of NATO. He would be brave and provocative to square up against the western border of the Ukraine, I hope he doesn’t go that far.

Putin has also cosied up to China who, apart from a half-hearted “naughty boy” statement, have yet to show their hand. It may be that Putin has forged this relationship as part of his contingency planning, having determined how we would respond - remember he is a strategist. China could provide a relief valve for Russia against at least some of the sanctions but that’s just speculation.

I am hearing reports about many Russian tanks being blown up and one soldier was asking for more anti tank weapons to be sent he knows we will not fight with them but with our support they can have much better odds, also mentioned russian soldiers surrendering as soon as they are attacked as they do not want to fight, this of ciurs could be BS but it has happened before in other wars.

The west has hung Ukraine out to dry. The sanctions we have imposed are the equivalent of putting 5p on a bank charge and banning exports of jelly babys to Russia. Our government is showing how week they are. The only thing Putin respects is strength. He Knows the west is just all talk. Europe needs Russian gas. What have we done to protect against being held to ransom? Stopped the new north sea gas gas rigs and stopped the shale gas plant at Grangemouth. Like it or not we are dependant on Russian gas.
Unless the west moves troops to the east Ukraine will not be the last.
One thing history teaches us is that it repeats its self. Did hitler not "take back" Alsace Lorraine? then annex Austria because they were really Germans and the Austrians "wanted" it to happen then the west let them have Czechoslovakia for peace? Sounds familiar.

russia.JPG

I wonder many of these young ladies are holding guns today

Reactions: Sym
Putin is not a patriot, he is only interested in his own agenda, not that of his people.

Is he crazy? It's a good question.
It is crazy to invade another country because of some semi historical pretext.
It is crazy to damage trade with your neighbours and the wider world through unprovoked military action.
It is crazy to risk a much wider war to satisfy some sort of paranoid desire to counter a threat that just isn't there.
I could go on.
As for the man himself, he seems to becoming more distant from the world, his speeches are becoming more rambling his logic more skewed.
He is clever, dividing the west as best he could, increasing his position od power, increasing the west's reliance on Russian gas for energy, increasing the value of Russian investment and money that the west relies on, encouraging devisive politicians like Trump in the west. However that doesn't make him sane.
Personally I question his mental state. It seems to me that is shows signs of degradation and his actions seem to point to that, or he has always been the way he is and he is loosing his grip on his ability for self restraint.
I fear history tells us the the only way that this will ultimately end is with the demise of Putin. If that will be through war, at the hands of his own people, or a cold war and a waiting game is yet to be determined.

I am hearing reports about many Russian tanks being blown up and one soldier was asking for more anti tank weapons to be sent he knows we will not fight with them but with our support they can have much better odds, also mentioned russian soldiers surrendering as soon as they are attacked as they do not want to fight, this of ciurs could be BS but it has happened before in other wars.
Where the daily mail by any chance

Its hard for people in the west to think like a Russian. From my limited time spent there and talking to them over a few vodka's most of the people I spoke to loved Putin. He was going to make Russia great again. They have different values than we have, "Mad" to us is not mad to them and how we think is alien to them. A bit like how most of Europe (and the Ukraine) thought we were mad leaving the EU but to most of the UK it was sensible.

By and large, this sort of dismissive Western arrogance is what led us here.
After reading a few posts, I think I see what you mean.
Putin is insane. I'm not dismissing anything. That is the guy who rode around on a pony, shirtless, to show off his muscles. Would you do that besides as a joke? How many people has he had assassinated? Would you assassinate someone? Would you bomb another country?
What does that tell you, in general?
As I have said, insane people don't necessarily appear insane on the surface. Being supremely evil doesn't exclude intelligence.

Its hard for people in the west to think like a Russian. From my limited time spent there and talking to them over a few vodka's most of the people I spoke to loved Putin. He was going to make Russia great again. They have different values than we have, "Mad" to us is not mad to them and how we think is alien to them. A bit like how most of Europe (and the Ukraine) thought we were mad leaving the EU but to most of the UK it was sensible.
Almost half the US is fooled by a madman, our previous President. You won't see a more fanatical love. I have a relative who sobs when that crazy dude is insulted.
People are people and all can be appealed to the same way, providing we're dealing with sanity.
They also can be manipulated and lied to. Aside from the insane, nobody could love Putin. They love the picture of him that has been provided to them (all false).
Same as what happened in '16 in the US.

After reading a few posts, I think I see what you mean.
Putin is insane. I'm not dismissing anything. That is the guy who rode around on a pony, shirtless, to show off his muscles. Would you do that besides as a joke? How many people has he had assassinated? Would you assassinate someone? Would you bomb another country?
What does that tell you, in general?
As I have said, insane people don't necessarily appear insane on the surface. Being supremely evil doesn't exclude intelligence.
sorry mate but to me this is absolute nonsense. Child level thinking, where everyone has to be a goody or a baddy. If anyone can look at the stranglehold of power Putin has over russia, the billions he has personally amassed, his geopolitical importance etc and just think "that man is a lunatic" then you need to consider your capacity to think without emotion. And lets not even waste our time complining a list of world leaders who have bombed other countries, because a considerable amount of that time would be spent looking around our own house.

"that man is a lunatic"
He is. Powerful people can be insane and I've pointed out already that insanity is in degrees. Look at our 45th President. Both of them extremely dangerous.
I've not said he's the only one. I've not denied countless, similar patterns elsewhere. Just because you're used to insanity or numb to it doesn't change anything.
I don't think the average person can confront evil/insanity and see it for what it is.
So, what do you say? Would you ride around shirtless on a pony to impress the country? Would you bomb another nation without actual cause? Would you assassinate loads of people who opposed you?
Putin has. He's insane--highly unethical if the term makes you feel better but it's still the same thing.

Back