Ultimate brewery classics English porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOPS!!! Posted elsewhere re this kit.
Been in the F.V. for 10 days now.Activity from the bubble airlock has long since stopped.The room where it is is not the warmest so it's been sitting around 16C for ages now.Will open it up for the first time and rack it when it's been in 14 days.
Made some previous comments elsewhere on the forum for those interested.Will continue here.

Tried to put up some pix but no dice.

Cheers.

Update : had a few problems with a stuck fermentation with this kit.Stuck at 1021 after 13 days in the primary F.V. Unfortunately I racked to a second FV without realising it was stuck,so couldn't stir up the trug to get it going. :doh: Newbie error!!
Re-pitched a 6g Wherry yeast on day 14,on day 19 added 0.5g of beer enzyme and again on day 24.Today is day 28 and for the last two days the hydrometer reading is consistent at 1016.Although I am in the process of testing my hydrometer as I think it reads high and true F.G. Is more like 1013.
Any way it will be bottled in the next couple of days.The A.B.V. Will be around 3.5 after bottle conditioning,way short of the 4.5 on the box,but hey after my challenges I'll be happy with that.
Having had to be patient with it so far I am probably gonna leave it a while maturing for a taste.I reckon it's been in FV's so long a lot of yeast has dropped out so not much left in the beer.At the moment it still smells and tastes good,with a malty flavour and is crystal clear.

For a second ever kit I have certainly learnt a lot with this one! I will let you know how it gets on with carbonation (gonna use 1PET Bottle for this) and cold conditioning/maturation.

Right what next :D

This has been in the bottle for 9 days in the warm.Stuck a couple outside for a few hours and and gave them an hour in the fridge.
After having a few problems with a stuck fermentation, I am pleased to say this is progressing well.

Crystal clear, lovely ruby red colour, no homebrew tang,nice malty flavour and a oatmeal coloured head.Overall a really nice looking beer.Has quite a dry aftertaste mebbe due to use of beer enzyme.However not a lot of carbonation,and poor head retention so far.

It clearly needs longer indoors and is gonna need a month cold conditioning I reckon, but I hope it keeps going in this direction as it will be nice.
Hasn't stopped me scoffing a couple tho. :cheers: Will report later on progress.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back