Underage purchase of brewing equipment, illegal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the states you have to be 18 in order to homebrew. You have to be 21 to drink the beer you brew. Unless you are in AL then homebrewing is illegal.

In uk the law is very different im 15and have a veryv good pallet for beers i can buy some can buy all the ingrediants and other jobbys i need to make beer its legal coz anyone can go into tesco or asda and buy some yeats and juice and ake some wine so itslegal

DaveMack said:
This is a bit off topic ish , ive just checked the legal age to drink at home , people can give there kid's alcohol from the age of 5 :shock: this is some thing i never knew .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

" Between the ages of 5 and 17, it is legally permissible for children to drink alcohol at home or at a friend's house with the permission of a parent or legal guardian "

Yup I know about that one. Like I knew about been able to drink beer, wine and cider at 16 and 17 if your having a meal. That I learned working at Yates. Many pubs will try to not serve it though as its still frowned upon.

Devonhomebrew said:
In uk the law is very different im 15and have a veryv good pallet for beers i can buy some can buy all the ingrediants and other jobbys i need to make beer its legal coz anyone can go into tesco or asda and buy some yeats and juice and ake some wine so itslegal

It looks like you drank it all aswell :lol: :drink:

Devonhomebrew said:

It's more of a moral/responsible approach to trading rather than it being illegal. They know what it'll be made into so they themselves are setting a company policy not to sell it to under 18's

By the age of 16 I had bought a rotokeg, several kits, an electrim boiler and all the kit to do AG in a similar way to how I do it now. BYOB shop in Northampton never batted an eyelid

critty said:
DaveMack said:
This is a bit off topic ish , ive just checked the legal age to drink at home , people can give there kid's alcohol from the age of 5 :shock: this is some thing i never knew .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

" Between the ages of 5 and 17, it is legally permissible for children to drink alcohol at home or at a friend's house with the permission of a parent or legal guardian "

Yup I know about that one. Like I knew about been able to drink beer, wine and cider at 16 and 17 if your having a meal. That I learned working at Yates. Many pubs will try to not serve it though as its still frowned upon.

Didn't know that critty, but I do now :)

rich27500 said:
By the age of 16 I had bought a rotokeg, several kits, an electrim boiler and all the kit to do AG in a similar way to how I do it now. BYOB shop in Northampton never batted an eyelid

Ive got a full ag system 3 casks a pressure barrel so many bottles and maybe some cornies to come aahahahahahahahaha :twisted: lots of moneys on the parents behalf

brizleciderarmy said:
Devonhomebrew said:

It looks like you drank it all aswell :lol: :drink:

Nearly drunk it all nee to brew some more soon but will be working on a 820L system for a week so =)

Jeltz said:
Well I'm tempted to send my 12 year old boy into tesco to buy a 5L springwater bottle, 3 jars of honey, some raisins and some bakers yeast. I wonder if they would have an issue with that!

The person on the checkout would see 6 items and not think for one second that you could put the lot together. :wha:

Latest posts

Back