Unwell/Illness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypnoticmonkey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Has anyone here ever got ill from yeast/brewing? I'm feeling a bit (actually very) dicky tonight. living at home atm, I've sought mother's opinion and she's convinced its all the yeast I've been working with from my brewing.

Is this even possible?

"Working with" or drinking?

If you have been drinking cloudy beer and you now have "rusty **** wee" that could explain it.

Depends on what you mean by "dickie"

I cut myself the other day when I was making my new mash tun :oops:

You just mentioned my main symptom there Wez!

I've not been drinking anything for a few days now, definitely not any beers. Last beer I had was... erm... a pint of Adnam's Broadside about a week ago.

you can always tell a bad pint to be honest, your hole is like a wizards sleeve, a clowns hat, a jap flag, a chewed orange, an inside oot joiners nailbag, keep the phrases going..............

hypnoticmonkey said:
You just mentioned my main symptom there Wez!

I've not been drinking anything for a few days now, definitely not any beers. Last beer I had was... erm... a pint of Adnam's Broadside about a week ago.

Unless you have been eating yeast, you wont have been affected by 'handling it'.

Having the Ertha Kitts is no fun, if you think it's bad enough seek medical advice.

Otherwise, put a loo roll in the fridge, your bum is going to be like a sunburnt pair of pukkered lips in the morning :thumb:

Sorry to hear you're not so well mate...Like the guys say..I can't see that the Yeast on its own can affect you... :hmm: However, the alcohol that it makes can ..and does... :rofl:

What I find amazing is that it's always the last pint that gives you the trots :wha:

The other 15 are normally ok :lol:

Thanks for all your quick and sage (and not so sage) advice guys. Put my mind at rest fairly quickly! I'm the kind of guy who, if not reassured, will let his thoughts run away with himself with concerns.

:cheers:

Yeast do's not give you the eartha kits on its own, I know plenty of people who drink yeast slurry daily and get no effect what so ever, & I mean more than 1/2 pint of yeast slurry a day most of em.

If you get a cloudy pint in a pub then get the shits its more likely to be an infection.

I would get a milk lolly to sooth the soreness if your condition gets much worse :shock: .

UP

hypnoticmonkey said:
Hey all,
Has anyone here ever got ill from yeast/brewing? I'm feeling a bit (actually very) dicky tonight. living at home atm, I've sought mother's opinion and she's convinced its all the yeast I've been working with from my brewing.
Is this even possible?

I've done my back in a few times, and had a couple of messy morning afters on the loo down to drinking beer that was very cloudy with yeast, but there's nothing that will make you ill.

unclepumble said:
I know plenty of people who drink yeast slurry daily and get no effect what so ever, & I mean more than 1/2 pint of yeast slurry a day most of em.

Why would anyone do that?

I used to make cider when I was at school and I once dared a friend of mine to drink it after a couple of days fermenting, with the yeasts in full flow. He was throwing up curdles for about half an hour!

hypnoticmonkey said:
unclepumble said:
I know plenty of people who drink yeast slurry daily and get no effect what so ever, & I mean more than 1/2 pint of yeast slurry a day most of em.
Why would anyone do that?

It's good for you.

The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin). These vitamins help break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, which provide the body with energy. They also support the nervous system, help maintain the muscles used for digestion, and keep skin, hair, eyes, mouth, and liver healthy.

If it doesn't seem to improve.... firstly see a doc!

Secondly... I know people can develop an allergy to bakers yeast, I suppose the same is true for all yeasts.

Christ, can you imagine developing an allergy to brewer's yeast?

:shock:

unclepumble said:
........I would get a milk lolly to sooth the soreness if your condition gets much worse :shock: ..

For which end :shock: :roll: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Baz Chaz said:
unclepumble said:
........I would get a milk lolly to sooth the soreness if your condition gets much worse :shock: ..

Glad you said that, cos I thought I was the only one thinking it :shock: :? :whistle:
I also thought far too much abouth this ... a Calypso would be too big, a Zoom the wrong shape, but a mini milk would be manageable

bishopsfinger said:
Baz Chaz said:
unclepumble said:
Glad you said that, cos I thought I was the only one thinking it :shock: :? :whistle:
I also thought far too much abouth this ... a Calypso would be too big, a Zoom the wrong shape, but a mini milk would be manageable

I wonder if VWP also works for the mind?

Latest posts

Back