Upping strength of cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldilocks

Reaction score
I have 5 5L containers of apple juice under airlock, all from the same batch, a couple of days into proper fermentation. The OG is 1.042 and I want to experiment with making some of of these stronger. I know I need to add sugar but have these questions

Can I even add any sugar at this stage, or should I have done it at pressing ?
Can I just add sugar or do i need to dissolve it first ?
Will I introduce any nasties by messing about with it ?
How much sugar do I add ? ( ie what amount of sugar will raise the SG by how much )

Thanks for any input guys

Baldilocks said:
I have 5 5L containers of apple juice under airlock, all from the same batch, a couple of days into proper fermentation. The OG is 1.042 and I want to experiment with making some of of these stronger. I know I need to add sugar but have these questions

Can I even add any sugar at this stage, or should I have done it at pressing ?
Can I just add sugar or do i need to dissolve it first ?
Will I introduce any nasties by messing about with it ?
How much sugar do I add ? ( ie what amount of sugar will raise the SG by how much )

Thanks for any input guys

You can add sugar at this stage.

You can just add the sugar with out dissolving it but dissolving is usually recommended.

There it always a small chance of nasties getting in but by boiling the water you dissolve it in reduces the risk, I have heard that because of sugar absorbing all the water around it then bacteria find it hard to live on it but not sure how true this is.

Is you check out the sake recipe thread moley gives a good method of adding sugar to bring your hydrometer up 0.010 then let it ferment down and repeat till your happy.

Cheers

Marrsy

Thanks Marrsy. Couldn't have hope for a better answer :thumb:
Will check out the sake thread and start sugaring up tonight
Cheers

Latest posts

Back