Use em up Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaddan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to use up my grain before ording some more, so I've come up with this recipe - aiming to be a stout - but I feel I'm just chucking grain in so thought I dask you lot what you think?

This is for 5L batch
650g Marris Otter
250g Caramunich 2
150g Crystal DArk
100g flaked torrefied barley
100g Specal B
50g carapils

7g Bramlin cross @60min
5g Bramlin Ccross @5 min
20g Admiral 20min hopstand @80g

I'm considering adding some coca powder @15 boil and villia pods in the ferminter too.

what are your thoughts ?
Cheers

You've over 40% Crystal type malts there, which I think is a bit excessive, and you may end up with quite a chewy beer.

Have you any more base grain or malt extract?

Do you have any chocolate?

I think you could make a nice brown porter from the Golden Promise + Maris Otter, Chocolate, Dark Crystal, and Special B (maybe either the flaked barley or carapils too).

Would give some nice dark fruit flavours, which would complement the Bramling Cross

Would this be a better mix?

This is for 5L batch
650g Marris Otter
250g golden promice.
150g Crystal DArk
100g flaked torrefied barley
80g Caramunich 2
80g Specal B
50g carapils

Thanks

Looking at the malts you have, you are going to struggle to make a stout. You really need something like chocolate malt or roasted barley.

However, you do seem to have everything you need to make a nice Bitter or ESB. Keep your base malts (Maris Otter / Golden Promise) to about 80-90% of the grain bill and then use the crystal malts to add depth. I'd keep the flaked barley too to add some body.

Something like this should work:

Maris Otter - 65%
Golden Promise - 20%
Flaked Barley - 5%
Caramunich 2 - 5%
Crystal Dark - 5%

You can play around with the percentages a bit to suit your available grain quantities.

1000028726.jpg
I might have added too much coca...

Yes I was going to use cocaco nibs but my wife pointed out we have lots of cocaco powder and the nibs will probably sit in the cupboard...

I will update once its ready :)
Thinking about it -I may need to up the level of vanilla I was planning to compensate...

It was supposed to be a cholate vanilla stout/porter , but I forgot to double check the amount of cocoa power to add so added 100g in a 5l batch...

So I guess I've made my first pastry stout/porter/milkshake thing....

It was supposed to be a cholate vanilla stout/porter , but I forgot to double check the amount of cocoa power to add so added 100g in a 5l batch...

So I guess I've made my first pastry stout/porter/milkshake thing....
Those ingredients wouldn't come within a bulls roar of a stout, Stu's Brews gave some sound advice on what to brew. You should have followed it.

Those ingredients wouldn't come within a bulls roar of a stout, Stu's Brews gave some sound advice on what to brew. You should have followed it.
Your right he has and will be used.
I kind of decided to go with it as the 2nd recipie easnt too far off his suguestion. Plus I still have enough left over to follow his recipe next :)

So is toasted barley ot cholate malts the key to Stouts them?

Latest posts

Back