Using 5 ltr water bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel

Reaction score
I'm currently have some Admirals Reserve in the FV, and found that I have both my pressure barrels and glass bottles in use with current conditioning brews. I have used the PET bottles in the past but at the mo I have a load of the 5ltr mineral water bottles (the big type you get from supermarkets), and am wondering if they would be a suitable option?

Don't think they'd take the pressure nigel, I use them for racking wine once I've degassed.
Also could you manage 5ltr in one night ;)

Only use 5 litre bottle for my ghetto wine and cider racket.
I have used three ltr pet bottles with no dramas.
I would say due to the neck diameter and pitch of the thread alone would not be up to the job.Big weak body, not gonna get you gassed up for secondary fermentation.

Leave them for ghetto DJs.

yes I tried secondary with them + had to keep letting the pressure out for first few days , I tried a bit of my homemade bitter + it was fine but only slightly carbonated

Got 2 of these 5 gall. mineral water bottles with secondary wine fermenting in at the moment. I cut a hole in the lid with a craft knife and fitted airlock (sealed around rubber bung and lid with Blu-tak so airtight). Been in 3 weeks and bubbling nicely but will rack into glass Demi-johns soon.
Just hope there's no after taste when it's finished - it would be a real shame if there was an aftertaste of the original Mineral Water!! ;)

You should be fine using the water Checkmate. Many brewers have used it with no problems whatsoever.

Cheers Neil :thumb:

Back