Using flaked rice and maize

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Has anyone got any experience of using flaked rice. I see it can be used for up to 40% of the grist. I intend to do a lager with it but have no idea how it will affect the mash or flavour. I got it uncrushed otherwise i think it would turn to dust.
I also have some flaked maize which has been described as adding a "cornflake" flavour which i am not terrible keen on. Opinions please.

I've used cornflakes in pseudo lagers before. They definately add a certain flavour. It will also thin the body and up the abv and make it more 'lager like'. I just chucked em in the mash with the rest of the grain and they didnt seem to effect anything

I've used cornflakes in pseudo lagers before. They definately add a certain flavour. It will also thin the body and up the abv and make it more 'lager like'. I just chucked em in the mash with the rest of the grain and they didnt seem to effect anything
I had forgotten about your cornflakes. What % did you use? I presume it will attenuate more as well. I have been trying to make something thinnner bodied for ages. Dare i say it almost watery. I have looked at Corona recipes knocking around the net and none use adjuncts so perhaps its not necessary. I am sure they are not used for economic reasons as its more expensive than grain.

I put about 15% cornflakes in it. They definatley thin the body and make the wort more attenuative
Thankls that is what i wanted to hear. An alternative method to amalayse. I have 2kg to put in a batch.

In the US and that side of the world maize is much cheaper especially as its not malted.
I did not think about that but it makes sense now. I bet it is all GMO as well.

use the microwave rice as its already cooked and does not need a separate mash temp to get the best out of it. I usually use 3 packs 750G and 250 g of cornflakes in my light american/mexican pseudo lagers with kolsch yeast

I should of said i bought the "Crisp" flaked rice and maize.
Also i stand corrected the Mexican Cerveza recipe in the bible uses around 10% flaked maize. The Japanese rice lager uses about the same. Both recipes seem to me to have high finishing gravities.

I've brewed a light lager for the missus who is a coors light fan and she actually loves it.
I used 1.15kg of Kellogg cornflakes but had a severely stuck mash though worth it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-04-14-32-58.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-04-14-32-58.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 88
I put a small amount of maize in my latest IPA recipe..181g in around a 4.5kg total. It seems to work although I probably wouldn't miss it! Also used it in a cream ale.

Back