Using gelatine in primary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

I have brewed a number of small 8 litre BIAB brews, and I have created some decent beer. But, they are not as clear as I would like. I shall be using protofloc for future brews. However, i currently have a brew that has been in the fermenter for 12 days. I have read that gelatine can help clear beer, if added to the primary fermenter before bottling. I have a quick couple of questions, if anyone could advise.

I have sheet/leaf gelatine. How much should I use for 8 litres of beer?

I read that your beer needs to be cold for the gelatine to work. But, just how cold? I don't have a purpose built chiller, I have just been putting my fermenter in the garage for a couple of days to drop the temp a bit, before bottling. Is this good enough? Would it be better to put the fermenter in the fridge?

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

I brew 15-18ltr batches and if I am going to use gelatine I chill to 2.5C then dissolve 1/2tsp gelatine in 150ml boiled water and add it to the fermenter.

Hello,

I have brewed a number of small 8 litre BIAB brews, and I have created some decent beer. But, they are not as clear as I would like. I shall be using protofloc for future brews. However, i currently have a brew that has been in the fermenter for 12 days. I have read that gelatine can help clear beer, if added to the primary fermenter before bottling. I have a quick couple of questions, if anyone could advise.

I have sheet/leaf gelatine. How much should I use for 8 litres of beer?

I read that your beer needs to be cold for the gelatine to work. But, just how cold? I don't have a purpose built chiller, I have just been putting my fermenter in the garage for a couple of days to drop the temp a bit, before bottling. Is this good enough? Would it be better to put the fermenter in the fridge?

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
Greetings ! i have also been through this process. yes to the above. i have also learnt other bits.
if its cloudy in the fermentor just leave it for a while. Brewing is not a race! once its semi clear or clear rack in to the final vessel then put in the fridge and leave again for a week maybe two. as soon as its down to temp gas. If your bottling and using sugar you will probable find it will go cloudy again so after the secondary bottle ferment back in the fridge for it to clear. i find with this method that if you keep the brews rolling along your never with out beer for very long.

Quick update, put the fermenter in the fridge for a couple of days, then added 1/3 of a sheet of gelatine, that I had dissolved in 100ml of water. Left for another 48 hours in the fridge, then bottled today.

Very happy with how it has worked,beer is extremely clear.

I don’t have the facilities to cold crash my beer - no special fridge for the fermenter and nowhere to put it if I did have one. The nearest I could come to cold crashing is putting the bottles in a fridge. If I dissolve the gelatine in the one 50 g of water, add the priming sugar and dissolve that in the same water, could I not then share this between my 36 or so bottles evenly and bottle condition, carbonate and clear the beer all at the same time?

I don’t have the facilities to cold crash my beer - no special fridge for the fermenter and nowhere to put it if I did have one. The nearest I could come to cold crashing is putting the bottles in a fridge. If I dissolve the gelatine in the one 50 g of water, add the priming sugar and dissolve that in the same water, could I not then share this between my 36 or so bottles evenly and bottle condition, carbonate and clear the beer all at the same time?
When the gelatine is used in the fermenter it settles to the bottom and then you rack the beer off leaving it behind. I'm not sure I'd want the gelatine in my finished bottles sick...

Latest posts

Back