Using Munich yeast for normal bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguzzler8518

Reaction score
Online co have mistakenly sent me a Munich Wheat yeast instead of Nottingham.

Any issue with using this in a normal AG bitter? Can't be bothered with the hassle of sending it back for exchange tbh. Just wondered what pitfalls I may encounter using it on a non wheat brew.

It's a dampfbeer. Just brewed one myself using WLP400 and the same ingredients as my golden ale. Plus lightly hopped with saaz B. just cracked one after 3 weeks in the bottle, needs more time for head formation finishing etc but has a lovely rich flavour. Quite a complex brew actually and waaay surpassed my expectations.

This is what i put down, it was a partial.
I say go for it!!!!

3.0kg LME - Light
250g Castle Crystal Malt
100g Weyermann Cara Munich - Type 1
100g Munich 2
100g Acidulated (Weyermann)

30g Hallertau (5.10% Alpha) @ 30 min
10g Saaz B (4.10% Alpha) @ 05 min

WLP400 yeast

i would say don't use it for a bitter , you will have some odd flavours mixing with your hops :sick: that yeast is meant to have low aroma hops and will have clove/banana taste with your malty bittering hops etc . and wlp 400 btw doesn't have banana etc it is a belgian wit yeast like hoegaarden

True but that Munich yeast doesnt really have much banana clove flavours compared to its safale equivalent. I second that on the bittering hops though. My brew was hopped quite lightly. A dampfbeef is brewed traditionally in Germany from a wheat beer yeast. It's less tart than a full wheat beer. Depends on what you're after I guess...

its not ideal but i imagine u could get away with it if treat it nice-to reduce esters- and clear it properly- probably worth looking into other options but will make a nice beer whatever, maybe just not to style (which i view as a suggestion not strict rules)

btw why i always have a packet/slurry of s-04/s-05 in the fridge for emergencys ;)

Latest posts

Back