Using Young's Hopped Light Spraymalt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saan

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I managed to bag 2kg of Young's 'hopped' light spraymalt at less than half price from the LBS as it was nearing it's best before date. I've only ever used non-hopped malt extract before now. Can someone tell me what type of hop is added to the hopped version? Is it bittering hops, flavour hops or a mix of both? I fancy using them in an extract brew for a light pale or golden ale but not sure if I would need to add any additional bittering or flavour hops to the brew. Thanks

It'll be a mix of the cheapest hops they can find, AIUI these things are only meant to provide some bittering. For instance in a previous thread, a Muntons rep said that 2.5kg of their hopped extract in 23 litres would give 31.5IBU - double the extract would give you double the bittering, halving the water would also double the bitterness.

So it depends on how bitter you want it, and whether you want flavour hops - but the answer to your questions is probably not, and yes.

Back