Verdant IPA query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a NEIPA this afternoon. All went to plan, chilled the wort down to 23C (anticipating a further drop to my 20C target), transferred to my Fermzilla and pitched. I then cleaned my equipment, got it into the brew fridge and it had dropped to 12C (room was cold and took a bit longer than usual).
Does pitching too cold affect the yeast as much as too hot? Particularly for Verdant?

Cheers,
Jay

Pitching cold shouldn't cause any problems, you just want to get it into the optimal range 18-23 asap to get it happy and active.

It's actually gone down a good bit. First dry hop is tonight but I'm a bit worried about the second dry hop when she is under pressure 😂
1679919763152762987602596099798.jpg

This one seems okay but in future I think I'll be rigging up a 2l with a carb cap T before my spunding valve. That'll catch the gunk before it wrecks the spunding valve.

Can someone explain this to me? First NEIPA on pressure and I'm not not sure what is making it go wild like this?
It's wild, one of the other reasons I am not a big fan. You need to keep it at 16c to make it a reasonably sized krausen any warmer and it always blows.

I'd used it a couple of times (not under pressure) and don't remember it being like this. Didn't have a clear fermenter either so probably never noticed.

My biggest problem with verdant yeast is that it doesn't drop. You will still have a lot of top yeast when fermentation is complete

It's wild, one of the other reasons I am not a big fan. You need to keep it at 16c to make it a reasonably sized krausen any warmer and it always blows.
Get a bigger fermenter. I have a 30L one and do 23L batches in it. It's never escaped so far.
My biggest problem with verdant yeast is that it doesn't drop. You will still have a lot of top yeast when fermentation is complete
Yes, I had this too. A bit of a pain, but not unsurmountable

Funny this was one of the things I used to steer away from based on some of brulosophies articles about headspace. Seems to be clear people prefer less headspace. Now I ferment in cornies and only brew 10-14L batches.

https://brulosophy.com/2017/03/13/t...pace-during-fermentation-exbeeriment-results/
That one seemed to have two variables: volume of wort and volume of headspace.

This one keeps the volume of wort between the two different samples whilst varying the headspace and the conclusion was that it was not significant
https://brulosophy.com/2019/02/18/i...eer-volume-is-consistent-exbeeriment-results/

Pitching cool shouldn't be an issue since you store the yeast in a fridge temperatures (presumably) so it will just come upto temp with the wort and kick in when it wakes up. I'd expect it would be a problem pitching warm yeast, say from a liquid starter, into cold wort.

That Verdant yeast is great and goes off big time whenever I use it and usually pretty much done in 3 days. As quick and vigorous as any Kveik I've used. I don't bother pressure fermenting it...seems a waste to pressure ferment Verdant yeast as you don't get the flavour from the yeast, which is a signature trademark of Verdant beers (don't mean to kick off a pressure fermentation vs non pressure fermentation debate on this forum as there is already one raging over on the equipment forum).

Latest posts

Back