Videne - No rinse with citric acid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaross

Regular.
Reaction score
I've heard adding citric acid to videne makes it last longer, if you do add citric acid is it still no rinse?

I think the citric acid is used to lower the ph, i use videne in a hard water area and its not got a very long mixed life before it looses all colour at which point i believe it is spent. even so i use about 1/2 a bottle a year max :)

afaik videne solution at 1.25ml per l has got a short mixed life anyway it wont keep between brews like starsan solution can??

I seem to recall that acidification of videne increases it's toxicity to organisms, IIRC that's the basis of Star San and the other one...somewhere on the net there's a vid discussing it with the makers but my recollection is very hazy as it was some time ago.

I thought it was Starsan where you might add citric acid if the pH of your water is too high. Starsan kills germs by being acidic whereas Videne is an iodine based sanitiser.

:wha: So I take it that it is unnecessary to add a pinch of citric acid to videne irrespective of water ph ?

I think there's already citric acid in Videne. Don't know if adding more would make a difference?

Now that I have stopped laughing at the replies on this thread I can finally reply.

Don't know where this idea of adding acid to videne has come from but it is complete and utter ********!!!!

Just because videne and starsan are no rinse sanitisers does not mean they work in the same way or require the same conditions to work.

It just goes to show the dangers of repeating information from the Internet without really understanding what it is that is being said.

Now that I have stopped laughing at the replies on this thread I can finally reply.
That funny really :hmm: :lol:
It just goes to show the dangers of repeating information from the Internet without really understanding what it is that is being said.
T'is so true :cool: Out of interest A, can you remember what I was thinking of re acidifying videne...or was it chlorine...I seem to remember it was also discussed on you tube or a pod cast :hmm:

Yes...it's bugging me that I can't remember :lol:

I know if you acidify bleach it can make it a much better disinfectant but if you add too much you will release chlorine gas and die, so probably best to leave it lol

Vossy, acidification of a DILUTE bleach solution produces hypochlorus acid, which is much more effective than plain bleach

The podcasr in question is from 2005 brewing network talk with Charley Talley of star san . . . About 20 minutes in IIRC

Doingatun said:
So I take it that it is unnecessary to add a pinch of citric acid to videne irrespective of water ph ?
Aleman said:
So should I just take it with a pinch of salt then :lol:

Latest posts

Back