Virgin from Yorkshire, newer than a newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye1980

Apprentice
Reaction score
a big hello from a Yorkshire lad who can hopefully gain some pearls of wisdom on all aspects hints and tips on everything from wine and port to ciders beers and largers because I like them all.

I've decided to come on here and get a grip before I start going out buying all the tackle, I only want to buy what I need, instead of buying half the shop.

Would be nice to hear from any locals around the Wakefield area as well.

Thanks ahead folks :thumb:

welcome... good place this , lots of good advice

one warning though... beware of Clibit, he's a very bad influence :grin:

Thank you all for the welcome, I've been having a good look round, think I'll be staying around for a while, seems a really good, well managed site with some top Brewers on its books, hope to befriend you all :drunk:

Thank you all for the welcome, I've been having a good look round, think I'll be staying around for a while, seems a really good, well managed site with some top Brewers on its books, hope to befriend you all :drunk:

welcome to the adventure. :drink:

main rule : sanitize everything thoroughly. (even the cat if it gets in the way).

star san makes sanitizing easier*

A plastic bucket and a paddle to aerate the wort (unbrewed beer) will get you started but a hydrometer & glass thermometer are pretty much necessities.

An auto syphon and a bottling wand make the bottling lark a lot easier.

*not recommended on cats

Hi and welcome :thumb:
It's a terrible thing to say but in my experience a micro brewery from an online supplier is one of the cheapest routes in unless you look at secondhand sales. That is if your going down the kit route.

Rob.

I think as regards to buying kit, I don't want to buy tried and tested ****, I would like good quality, with proven results, and below rrp as I won't pay full price for anything, and I'll only buy it if I can't make it, I think they call it frugal, some say I'm a tight ****, I just think it's common sense lol :hat:

Just goes to show throwing money at everything guarantees you nothing, I like the idea of making something from next to nothing, and you got the results, I'm sure it tasted better for it :drink:

Yes football teams are the proof of that, cannot buy success even though they try. Crazy! they way I figured it was that people used to make awesome beer hundreds of years ago without all the equipment that we have, its should be a relatively simple process and it is.

Mash the grain to extract sugars. Rinse the grain to extract more sugar. Boil the hops to extract bitterness. Pitch the yeast to turn sugar to alcohol and thats basically it.

I watched a lot of videos too how to make stuff on youtube. This was the one that got me really inspired because although i didn't have the equipment i could see the principles and try to emulate them in other ways until i did have the equipment. Its a slow build up of adding little things here and there :D

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iQefnKHvxs[/ame]

Latest posts

Back