Virgin Home Brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil R

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im Phil from Liverpool, just lost my homebrew virginity to BrewBuddy cider.

Was looking to have a go at this for ages and my wonderful other half came up trumps with this as a present for xmas.

So hello and :cheers:

PS does your first post always get moderated ? Ive just done one for a cider issue i have , thanks

Phil R said:
PS does your first post always get moderated ? Ive just done one for a cider issue i have , thanks

Hello Phil, yes I think it does. It's a way that the mods can stop spammers and trolls getting a foot in the door.

Phil R said:
Hi everyone, Im Phil from Liverpool, just lost my homebrew virginity to BrewBuddy cider.

Was looking to have a go at this for ages and my wonderful other half came up trumps with this as a present for xmas.

Hi Phil & Welcome.
If you like your cider you've got to do a batch of "Turbo Cider" using supermarket apple juice.

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Phil R said:

Hi Phil & Welcome.
If you like your cider you've got to do a batch of "Turbo Cider" using supermarket apple juice.

BB

BB, is there a "best" recipe to follow ? ive seen a few that only use a few litres of apple juice but id wanna make a big one. Thanks

Always glad to a felow scouser join the forum :thumb:

Welcome aboard , mate ! Get another brew on as soon as your cider is out of the bucket and you will have a steady supply of drink . Coopers kits are good and readily available....get stuck in :cheers:

shocker said:
Welcome aboard , mate ! Get another brew on as soon as your cider is out of the bucket and you will have a steady supply of drink . Coopers kits are good and readily available....get stuck in :cheers:

Its payday next Friday so im gonna invest in another bucket and either another cider or try the TC ( Need a recipe for a 25 litre one ) is that what peiople do and make a big one or just do little ones ?

Phil R said:
BB, is there a "best" recipe to follow ? ive seen a few that only use a few litres of apple juice but id wanna make a big one. Thanks
Most on here buy cheap apple juice from various stores or better quality ones when they're on "BOGOF".. ;)
I've had good results with Tesco value juice :thumb:

I brew mine in a 18L water dispenser bottle with an airlock attached to the top.
41lJIORN3nL._AA280_.jpg

I ferment with around 14L apple juice and a pack of Young's Cider yeast.
HOME_0020_BREW_0020_23_002E_9_002E_08_0020_053_m.jpg

Without adding sugar it'll be around 5% alcohol, you can crank it up to around 9% if you add sugar. :eek:

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Phil R said:
Most on here buy cheap apple juice from various stores or better quality ones when they're on "BOGOF".. ;)
I've had good results with Tesco value juice :thumb:

I brew mine in a 18L water dispenser bottle with an airlock attached to the top.
41lJIORN3nL._AA280_.jpg

I ferment with around 14L apple juice and a pack of Young's Cider yeast.
HOME_0020_BREW_0020_23_002E_9_002E_08_0020_053_m.jpg

Without adding sugar it'll be around 5% alcohol, you can crank it up to around 9% if you add sugar. :eek:

BB

Brilliant BB, thanks

Got loads of them waterbottles in work, might swipe a couple. In that recipe how much sugar would you put in ? and would you put sugar inwhen you bottle ? if so how much ?

And finally how long do you leave it before bottling ? then how long bottled ?

Sorry for all the questions :thumb:

Hi and welcome phil you have caught the bug now hope it goes well mate . Hope your from the red half of liverpool :thumb:

keith1965 said:
Hi and welcome phil you have caught the bug now hope it goes well mate . Hope your from the red half of liverpool :thumb:

Of course Keith

:thumb: :cheers:

Phil , if you have those water carboys at work grab all you can , while you can . Lots of shops sell them and they go for a few quid each on e bay . Look at yank sites and they are all using them . Dead handy . Ive been after some for a while but I dont know anyone who has them at work near me .

If you are worried about stoppers , they are available from most shops or you can go the DIY route and put a latex glove over the end - the expanding gases will fill it and inflate . Looks funny , too ! ;)

shocker said:
Phil , if you have those water carboys at work grab all you can , while you can . Lots of shops sell them and they go for a few quid each on e bay . Look at yank sites and they are all using them . Dead handy . Ive been after some for a while but I dont know anyone who has them at work near me .

If you are worried about stoppers , they are available from most shops or you can go the DIY route and put a latex glove over the end - the expanding gases will fill it and inflate . Looks funny , too ! ;)

Cracking shout with the gloves. Ill deffo be getting a few of these this week

Hi Phil,
Do you have to boil any AJ first and add the sugar ? or just pour it all in cold ?

No need to boil the AJ, just pour into the fermenter, if you add sugar your better off dissolving it in some hot water first, let it cool slightly and add to the juice.

I normally leave it in the fermenter under airlock for around 2 - 3 weeks until most of the yeast as dropped to the bottom.
When bottling use 1 level teaspoon per pint and store in a warm place around 18 - 20c for around 10 - 14 days so that it carbonates the cider....
Wait around another week of so and it should be ready to chill and drink but will get better the longer you leave it. :thumb:

As for the sugar it's up to you but a good starting point would be around 500g for around 14L of juice.. to much sugar and you'll end up with a very dry cider that's high in alcohol :eek:

John

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Hi Phil,
Do you have to boil any AJ first and add the sugar ? or just pour it all in cold ?

No need to boil the AJ, just pour into the fermenter, if you add sugar your better off dissolving it in some hot water first, let it cool slightly and add to the juice.

I normally leave it in the fermenter under airlock for around 2 - 3 weeks until most of the yeast as dropped to the bottom.
When bottling use 1 level teaspoon per pint and store in a warm place around 18 - 20c for around 10 - 14 days so that it carbonates the cider....
Wait around another week of so and it should be ready to chill and drink but will get better the longer you leave it. :thumb:

As for the sugar it's up to you but a good starting point would be around 500g for around 14L of juice.. to much sugar and you'll end up with a very dry cider that's high in alcohol :eek:

John

Legend John

Just got 44 bottles 4.73%

Well happy , doing a TC at the weekend :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back