Volcanic fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clives-online

Reaction score
Greetings,
I read a number of postings about over pitching. If I understand it correctly over pitching is when you have a short high fermentation, rather than a long slow fermentation.

I have had a volcanic fermentation on several occasions followed by fast fermentation for a few days.

Should I divide the starter yeast into several jars in the fridge. Then add one every three or four days to lengthen the fermentation??

Thanks,
Clive

I use a yeast pitching rate calculator like Mr. Malty to figure out how much yeast I need to pitch. That takes the guesswork out ofit.

There are also other factors that come into play. High fermentation temp can lead to a vigorous fermentation. Typically, when I've had the lid blow off the FV, it was because it was a really big beer with a high OG with lots of food for the yeast. Belgian strains often do this but then again they are usually big beers as well.

dont divide starter and pitch multiple times, you ideally want to pitch once with a sufficient population so that they arent stressed. As Phettebs said there are calculators to help. Was this a vial of liquid yeast or pack of dried? or a smack pack? typically for 20l batch if I have pack of dried I will make starter 24hrs before and by pitch time that should be good. The smack packs typically are enough to pitch direct. Liquid yeast depends on the style whether I would make a starter. Some yeasts like Kveik and Weißbier yeasts are just active by nature.

Back