voltage controller on boiler ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the same reason you have a regulator on your cooker . . .not to control the temperature but to control the vigour of the boil . . .from a gentle simmer up to a raging boil. Either a Burst Fire Controller Or a Phase Angle Controller would do the job perfectly . . . In theory you need a big Snubber network with a Phase angle controller, to prevent radio interference . . . which cost more than the PAC :roll:, in practice I have not found an issue with the three units I use.

I have a 15Amp one for my 20L plant (wired up to a 3KW element) and a 6A one to control my pump speed.

shocker said:
Thanks . They look just the job - can I ask you the price of one of these units , roughly ? Please ?
I got a different sort from UNited Automation . . . Those from Under control Were cheaper IIRC . . . . I think I paid around 45 quid for each of mine :shock:

True , but there is an appreciable difference between running an element flat out and giving it just enough current to maintain a rolling boil . This is especially noticeable when one has to ask for all ones change in pound coins and break off from the brew process to run round to the meter to feed in more coins since the meter will only take 12 at a time and the owner keeps putting the rate up .

While cheaper than the pub , where I dont like drinking for various reasons , and the supermarket , I am not in a position to spend more than I absolutely have to . Hence if I can control the element I will put a great deal fewer coins into the meter . ;)

shocker said:
Hence if I can control the element I will put a great deal fewer coins into the meter .
Prepayment meters must be much more expensive than credit meters.
My average cost per Kwh is 18.6p
If my elements were on for 3.5hrs (includes bringing to boil) I would use 5 x 3.5 = 17.5 Kwh at a cost of £3.25
Spread over 24ltrs = 13.5p per litre or 7.7p per pint.
Not unreasonable!

Its a privately owned and set meter - the owner can set it to whatever rate they choose ....and they set it to way above the normal tariffs . The way owners of these park home sites make money is by their monopoly on LPG and power . They pay £45 for a gas bottle , we pay £90 - using your own source of gas bottle is not allowed . Dont like it ? Find somewhere else to live .

Its fun down here at the bottom of the ladder :party: :party:

I am in no way commenting on your costs or their rights or wrongs . I am in a different situation and must try to make the best of it .

Mate , I merely asked about the technicalities of using a voltage controller . When asked the reason I explained that it could possibly reduce the overall cost . And as you point out one either does or doesnt . I do . Whatever the cost , because I enjoy it . I am actually not a big drinker and rarely go to pubs and only occassionaly buy beer from shops .

It is however taxing to have to always have a store of one pound coins and have the possibility of the power running out in the middle of a boil . Thus if that can be lessened by using a device then I , me , personally , would like to do that .

I do not for a moment suggest that anyone else should do the same . My choice for my actions . I asked advice on the technical aspect and have received it . I REALLY dont want to have a debate that seems cause rancour over the rights and wrongs of it . I thank you for your interest and input but I do not want to fall out over some meaningless difference in personal circumstances .

I am very sorry if I have offended you in any way and PLEASE consider this a public apology if I have .

Back