VWP Steriliser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumpton

Regular.
Reaction score
I am not sure if i want to continue using this stuff!!

It definitely cleans ok, ,i am just certain it really lingers in the flavour on occassion.

Anyone else feel the same or think there is a much better alternative?
:cheers:

cant say ive noticed any off tastes from vwp i dont use it much now tbh i give my fv a good wash out after use then a good spray with videne unless i have stubborn strains then i use the vwp but i do rinse well after

Some years ago I split my approach into separate cleaning and sanitising stages, and it suits me much better.

I clean stuff after use with PBW or oxyclean type stuff or even soda crystals; you can stick stuff out in the yard to rinse/hose it down and use sponges etc without worrying about contamination, as its not expected to be sanitised yet, just physically cleaned.

Then just before use I'll sanitise the clean equipment with a squirt or three of starsan solution in a sprayer bottle and job done almost instantly - no waiting for things to soak. For sensitive stuff like metal FV taps and plate chillers, I sometimes prefer to boil those or use the pressure cooker to autoclave them. I also use starsan when assembling the taps afterwards though - if you keep everythin wetted with starsan it helps keep the parts sterile while you fiddle about with them.

Cheers
kev

I use VWP for everything.

I don't get residual flavours or smells.

FV's get filled with it, drained and three rinses with about half a gallon of fresh cold water each time sloshed and washed down the sides.

Bottles get soaked in it and rinsed outside under running cold then filled and shaken out once then left to drain on a bottle tree.

Other stuff, tools and whatnot, get soaked and just a good rinse under running cold.

The key is to make the solution to the weakest of the options on the pot. I use roughly a heaped desertspoon for a 5 gallon batch.

I've had no infections and no residual flavours. I don't see myself changing to anything else...

I only use VWP for stubborn muck, not because of any lingerinng smell issues, but because of the cost of the stuff :)

I clean everything as soon as it's empty while the muck is still soft, and then splosh some videne solution around before I use it.

calumscott said:
I use VWP for everything.

I don't get residual flavours or smells.

FV's get filled with it, drained and three rinses with about half a gallon of fresh cold water each time sloshed and washed down the sides.

Bottles get soaked in it and rinsed outside under running cold then filled and shaken out once then left to drain on a bottle tree.

Other stuff, tools and whatnot, get soaked and just a good rinse under running cold.

The key is to make the solution to the weakest of the options on the pot. I use roughly a heaped desertspoon for a 5 gallon batch.

I've had no infections and no residual flavours. I don't see myself changing to anything else...

+1 - more expensive than some other stuff but reliable, especially no off-smells ever

Perhaps I have different values but don't see this stuff as expensive it's like £4 for a pot that gets me through at least five brews.

Back to the point I have also never had an issue with it.

I tend to use soda crystals for cleaning - cheap as chips, pretty easy to rinse and does a good job :thumb:
The key is to clean straight away - don't leave it till it is dried and crusty ;)

Back