W(I)PA - Wheat (India) Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stapsin

Reaction score
Hey, would appreciate any feedback on this!

Made a Hefeweizen a while back that turned out really well so thought I would try making a nice, bitter, hoppy wheat beer. I've also been looking to use Galaxy for a little while so thought I'd use it now too!

WIPA

Wort Volume Before Boil: 25.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 21.50 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l
Volume Of Finished Beer: 20.00 l

Expected OG: 1.053 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG
Expected ABV: 5.3 %
Expected IBU: 34.3

Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins

Fermentables
UK Wheat Malt 2.500 kg (50.0 %)
UK Pale Ale Malt 2.100 kg (42.0 %)
UK Caramalt 400 g (8.0 %)

Hops
US Columbus(Tomahawk) (18.3 % alpha) 13 g Loose Whole Hops - 60 Min
Australian Galaxy (15.0 % alpha) 10 g Loose Whole Hops - 10 Min
US Cascade (6.7 % alpha) 10 g Loose Whole Hops - 10 Min
Australian Galaxy (15.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops - At turn off
US Cascade (6.7 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops - At turn off
Australian Galaxy (15.0 % alpha) 26 g Loose Whole Hops - 7 Days Dry-Hopped
US Cascade (6.7 % alpha) 26 g Loose Whole Hops - 7 Days Dry-Hopped

Yeasts
DCL US-05

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)

Thanks in advance

I've never made one but I've been doing a bit of reading on American wheat beers recently in prep for trying one myself.

Style seems to be characterised by >50% wheat malt and a clean yeast, so none of the banana and clove you get in the German and Belgian styles. Bitterness was more like 20 than 35 but if you like them bitter... Cascade also a popular hop, I think the Goose Island wheat beer is Liberty and Cascade. So as far as grain, yeast and hops go yours is looking pretty good.

I may be tempted to leave the crystal out, just to see what a more traditional US wheat beer tastes like, as I've never seen them over here to try. But then you're not trying to recreate a US wheat beer.

Cheers for the reply Strongarm. I mainly added the cara to give it a bit more body and colour so think I will keep it in. I was thinking about lowering the IBUs a touch too actually to something more around 25ish. Will be brewing this weekend all being good with my ingredients delivery!

Some of the photos of it I've seen have been reasonably dark so could be a good addition, I think if you drop to 25 you'll be right in the middle of US wheat beer territory too.

Reads like it will be very tasty.

I'll be putting an order in for something similar (wheat extract, US-05, Saaz and Cascade for mine) and hopefully fermenting in the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully it wont impart toooo much colour, just give it a bit more of a darker golden colour but we shall see. Gonna try and get it on this weekend.

I do a standard super simple wheat beer brew, 50% Wheat/50% Pale, Saaz hops in the boil, I use dry yeast (Safale T-58 if my memory is right), fermented on the cool side of things and dry hop it with a little Citra, and it turns out beautifully, heading towards IPA territory but not quite, it is a little not one thing or the other, but seeing as I brew it to drink rather than pigeon hole, its all the better for it! Its a perfect summer brew!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back