Walpaper Steamer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damfoose

Reaction score
Picked up a wallpaper steamer from B&Q has loads of attachments ine including a small brush on the end of an extension tube.
As I cant get my arm into a cornie :wha: im thinking this will clean the shiney blighters and kill any known bugs dead as itl reach all the way to the bottom where I just cant reach :D .

This one but with all its attachments like long tube extension and small brush on the end. Clicky

Will post picks later when I have a few of it in action .. :mrgreen:

The price looks good, but if I bought one I would have to keep it out the way of Mrs. S. she might get ideas about using it for its real intended work. :lol:
I have considered steam, bottle sanitisation and cornys but, there is lots written about thermal expansions and breakages............ :? My thinking was to place bottles in my SS mash tun and slowly let in the steam to warm things gradually ?
Do you think high temps with affect the corny bonded bits, bit pricey to kipper up a corny :(
Just worked out why my typing has deteriorated and keeps going wonky, I have worn the tit bit off the J key...........need to get out more ;)
S

Can't see the steamer causing any problems to a cornie as when the breweries / soft drinks companies cleaned them they had a high pressure cleaner droped in them to clean them out this low pressure steamer should just do the sanitisation needed as well as shifting the more stubborn yeast that is stuck to the bottom of the cornie,

So it now becomes 1/4 fill with hot water and a good dolop of soda crystals replace lid shake well for a min or two , rince well bung steamer wand in and wave around steaming all surfaces well.

Every other filling take the in and out dip tubes out clean them and steam as well. not forgetting to boul the popets for 10 min or so.

Lastly give a spray with some very diluted idophore to keep the nasties dead.

Think I need to go up market with my cleaning regime, before I have trouble, been ok for 5 years though :? I have usually used metabisulphite from the brew shop, this seem to have worked for me, have I been lucky, have used bleach occasionally.
Corny's are normally hosed out them soaked with steriliser and pressurised to force it up the tube for a few minutes then rinsed and again pressurised to force steriliser out. Its a pain, but so is bottle washing.
Need to investigate these no rinse cleaners that keep being mentioned. The more I read the more I worry :? ;) :lol: I won't be laughing if I have 15 gallons or so from the new brewery, when completed go belly up :( :( :(
S

I'm lucky, 'er indoors runs a childrens nursery and a supply of Miltons is constant

I find after cleaning the kit with Oxyclean or similar a soak in Milton works wonders, and no need to rinse

Chris

+1 with dave,

Milton is wonderful and in normal world is no rinse but in brewing world even the chlorine in water can be too much and I believe milton is designed to stay on a surface to carry on giving protection even after cleaning, which is not good in beer.

A good quality Idodine based sterilizer is needed I use one you can get from the chemist, Videne Antiseptic Solution, ask in the morning they have it by the afternoon wonderful or you can buy it on line. Iodophor is another brand that can be got from HBS and Star San is something else a lot of people use

usage list from palmer

davesiv said:
i wouldnt recomend the use of milton as a cleaner or sanitiser for home brew.

+ another for dave here, Have you tasted a babies bottle after its been done in miltons even after its been rinced a number of times and left out for a few hours :sick: :sick: bloomin orrible and to think people use the stuff then bung the damn thing ino a babies mouth no wonder the poor things are crankey babies should be fed with a boob nothing more nothing less.

Anyway videne is ace 0.5 ml in 2 pints of water no rince here we go :D

Ditto with the baby stuff, I fell out with kits over this stuff, all my kits tasted bad and I blamed the kits, then the baby stuff ran out and they tasted good again when I switched to dedicated cleaner.

Thanks for replies, wouldn't have gone the Milton route, been there 20 years ago ;)
Link to Palmer certainly spells alot of it out. :D
Its amazing the info on here :cheers:
S

Use the steamer ive poached the idea and made my own it works great no broken bottles which was a concern i must admit but i did 35 in a matter of minutes the other day no problem

Latest posts

Back