wanted stout or porter recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baz burger

Reaction score
i would like to make a stout or porter for my next brew ag 2# attempt. i like mackeson, oyster, some porters i have tried were quite nice but can't remember the names,also looked at the batemans salem porter recipe in gw book. any suggestions.
cheers : :hmm:

How about Aleman's Effin Oatmeal Stout, do a search on here for it, I've got it on my to do list

Alemans Effin oatmeal stout is the only stout to drink.

This is my take on it

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 19 lbs. 8.0 oz 8850 grams 62.8%
Oat Flakes 2.5 EBC 4 lbs. 10.6 oz 2120 grams 15%
Roasted Barley 1350 EBC 1 lbs. 5.4 oz 605 grams 4.3%
Flaked Barley 0 EBC 1 lbs. 4.1 oz 570 grams 4.1%
Crystal Malt 130 EBC 1 lbs. 10.8 oz 760 grams 5.4%
Brown Malt 150 EBC 1 lbs. 10.8 oz 760 grams 5.4%
Chocolate Malt 1050 EBC 0 lbs. 15.0 oz 425 grams 3%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Bramling Cross Whole 5 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 7.0 oz 200 grams 100%

Final Volume: 55 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.016
Alcohol Content: 5.1% ABV
Total Liquor: 77.6 Litres
Mash Liquor: 35.2 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 43.1170936048961 EBU
Colour: 209 EBC

based on Alemans changes which he made to the one published in recipes.

:thumb:

I had the last bottle of my Porter Type Thing on Saturday and it was very fizzy but otherwise still rather good almost 2 years from brewing.

I'm not sure if it is really a porter or a stout but I liked it anyway :)

Otherwise Aleman's oatmeal stout is a good recipe as has been mentioned. A lot of people like 4 Shades of Stout but I'm not personally a fan of the cascade flavour in a stout YMMV of course.

I have 5 gallons of Aleman's Effin Oatmeal Stout sitting in bottles. They're a month old now and I'm resisting the urge to crack one open. I drank the penultimate bottle of 'Death by Chocolate Stout' I did for my second AG on the weekend, which had been in the bottle for around 4 months now, and I really wish I'd left the rest of that batch alone for that long. It was gorgeous!!!

Death By Chocolate Stout - could I please have that recipe, Goat? :pray:

I did this for my first every brew:
recipeview.php?recipe_id=1609
It's a Chocolate Maple Porter, or so the recipe said - I thought it was rather nice! My actual brew length was 4.5L (1gallon), but the software changes it to 5L. It was a little fizzy, still working on that.

Dennis

Certainly, it wasn't my creation so I can't take the credit. If I did it again I'd work out how to make the vanilla more prominent, but even as it was after 5 months in the bottle it is beautiful. It was very harsh with the cocoa for the first two months, so I definitely recommend leaving it as long as you can before drinking it.

Recipe is at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24046

cheers for that going to try the effin oat meal stout,will have to scale it down because my mash tun is only a 24l coolbox.

Back