waste after fermentation question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MUTSNUTS666

Reaction score
:wha: Hi,can anyone answer a stupid question,well it probably sounds stupid to a brewer who knows what
they are doing.question;after fermenting a real ale beer kit does the yeast, waste and sludge left behind
after syphoning have any other use i.e can it be mixed back in to a fresh kit or is it just drain material
steralise and start again.if anyone can answer this question for me,i may be able to sleep tonight!!!oh,and
thank's in advance :thumb: if not maybe more beer will help with the sleep thing :drink:

If you hygiene is very good you can drop another beer onto it as soon as you syphon-off, albeit if you're AG you start to build-up multiple layers of trub (bits of hops, proteins etc). Done it several times and it's worked very well.

You can pitch another brew ontop of the yeast cake or you can keep some and use it another time I've put some into a 500 ml pop bottle and kept it in the fridge then reused

:thumb: Thank's for the info guy's,i will give it a try.just one thing,does it not kill the
yeast putting it in the fridge???anyway i will sleep better tonight with my new knollege :hmm:

Now hang on a bit, dried active yeast can be stored in the freezer, but your wet yeast slurry from the fermenter shouldn't (although one forum member claims to get away with it).

But if you are brewing kit beers and using the yeasts which are packed with the kits, there's very little point in trying to reclaim or re-use the yeast.

If you are replacing the kit yeast with something better like S-04 or Nottingham, or paying serious money for liquid yeasts, then you may want to get better value for money, but ideally you should separate the good stuff from the crud, and there's a guide here.

Latest posts

Back