Water boiler/Urn Concealed element

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulRob

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice, was thinking of buying this water boiler from Amazon, it had temperature dial and a concealed element, would I still need a false bottom, or would it be ok to clip my biab bag over the top as long as it wasn't touching the bottom. Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200617-123058.png
    Screenshot_20200617-123058.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 67
Looks similar to the one I have - albeit mine is the 30l. My element failed so I've installed an exposed element as close as I can to the bottom. The elements aren't really replaceable for the concealed type.

I just clip the bag over the top, it's easiest if the bag is the right size though. That is, there's no way of my bag touching the element as it can't really slip any further down. I've used some larger bags that have slipped down and ruined the bag and brew.

The temperature dials on them aren't reliable but they are repeatable.

Also, I'd seriously consider getting a larger boiler. You might grow out of this one quite quickly. Christ 23l batches are no longer enough for me

Looks similar to the one I have - albeit mine is the 30l. My element failed so I've installed an exposed element as close as I can to the bottom. The elements aren't really replaceable for the concealed type.

I just clip the bag over the top, it's easiest if the bag is the right size though. That is, there's no way of my bag touching the element as it can't really slip any further down. I've used some larger bags that have slipped down and ruined the bag and brew.

The temperature dials on them aren't reliable but they are repeatable.

Also, I'd seriously consider getting a larger boiler. You might grow out of this one quite quickly. Christ 23l batches are no longer enough for me
Yeah I was thinking of some how clipping the bag over the top. That would work. I am happy just doing my 5 litre batches every 10-14 days.

Didn't want to start another thread. Hoping someone could help. I want to get into BIAB, and brew 23L batches. My questions is would a 30L water boiler be big enough when considering grain absorption and boil off?

My really ancient boiler has a concealed element. I don;t know whether my grain bags touch the bottom; I doubt it, the bag is a long tube and I trap the end of it with the lid. That said, the base is pretty stained, but doesn't seem to cause me any problems. But I've just had a look, and it's marked down the side up to 8 gallons, so it's quite a bit bigger than 30 litres. My normal batch size is 15 litres, which I start with around 20 litres of water, and it's only about two-thirds full at that point.

If you don't have one, you might want to consider putting a false bottom in the boiler so the bag doesn't come into direct contact with the heating element. (Disastrous if you are using a nylon bag)

Back