Water for IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieDS

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi I'm planning a brew for next week, an English IPA, dry hopped with plenty of fuggles and EKG.
Can someone glance over my intended water profile and tell me how it looks. The beer will be around 9 SRM, with about 44 IBU's.

Target profile
Calcium 140ppm
Mg 18ppm
Sodium 26ppm
Sulphate 300ppm
Chloride 57ppm
Bicarbonate 105ppm
RA -24

Thanks, Stevie.

This was sort of based on the pale ale profile in Brunwater but now that you mention it, 5 is a very high ratio, especially as mine isn't as bitter as an IPA generally is.

I had a look at your link, that calculator is pretty good, first I've used it.

So, my revised target profile:

Calcium 84 ppm
Mg 2 ppm
Sodium 10 ppm
Sulphate 103 ppm
Chloride 52 ppm
Bicarbonate 15 ppm
RA -47
Sulphate/Chloride ratio 2

I realise this is way different :lol: But when it comes to water additions I think less is better.

dennisking said:
Are you aware we have our own calculator, top left hand side of page.

I am aware and its a nice easy to use calculator.

I have a couple of issues with it however. For example I use lactic acid for reducing carbonates rather than CRS and there is no option for this, I don't like that it doesn't show the finished water profile after additions, and I don't like the fact that you can't play around with the salt additions to see the effect on the water profile.

I realise it was probably kept like this for simplicity but I like to see what's happening, which is why I like the Brunwater calculator.

Back