Watery after taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellz Bellz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a gallon of WOW as per the instructions below:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10179

After about 3 weeks in the bottle I chilled one and cracked it open. It was actually very pleasant and easy drinking. However it did not seem to have a strong after taste that you get with most commercial wines. It was a bit watery. Any ideas anyone?

could be young - flavours will develop in time and watery taste will dissipate - could be your taste, but you can always add more juice in future if you want more body. I found the original WOW to be pretty flavour intense though because of all the citric acid!

Don't chill it too cold either, as this will reduce the flavours :thumb:

Thanks. I do prefer a stronger taste. I think I will increase the juice and reduce the water.

:cheers:

yeah thats probably your answer then, wows are pretty plain compared to fine wines imo, ypu might try grape extract (wine enhancer) to create a better wine, my experience of wows has been that they do the job and taste alright but dont bring em out on come dine with me! keep experimenting, remember they will age well so if you dont like it now put it away and try it in 6 months :)

Cheers guys. I think I'm being impatient and expecting too much from the WOW. It does actually taste good. Me and the wife had about a litre each the other night, so we know there is definitely alcohol in there :sick:

I didn't store it in wine bottles with corks either. I think I will next time.

Jasea3632 - I added a tsp of glycerine. The "mouth feel" is fine. I was actually impressed with the wine.

I didn't store it in wine bottles with corks either. I think I will next time.

I use 1.5 litre spring water bottles as its the equivalent of two 75ml bottles, ideal if you are sharing the bottle between two.

Back