We really are ****.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A week of high temperatures and the hose pipe bans have started i wonder how hot countries cope. :roll:

The BBC are reporting -

A hosepipe ban will start in Northern Ireland at 18:00 BST on Friday.

NI Water has appealed for people not to use water for washing cars, filling pools, or sprinkling gardens, as supply failures have already hit some areas.

It comes as temperatures are set to hit 29C on Friday, just a fraction lower than highs of 30.5C on Thursday.

Some 25 fighters are battling a major gorse fire on the Glenshane Pass, which has been burning for three days and now has a front up to 500m long.

A week of high temperatures and the hose pipe bans have started i wonder how hot countries cope. :roll:

What they do is balance a bucket on their heads, walk ten miles to the nearest well to fill it up, then walk back with the full bucket effortlessly balanced on their heads again. I know cos I've seen 'em on Panorama and those charity ads demanding money. Why don't they just move their mud huts nearer to the well, crissake??

Some heathland fires on Winter Hill, very close to where I live, also on Saddleworth Moor which is not too far away.

As for "not being able to do things", we abandoned that sort of thinking around 1948.

It was about 16C top temperature today. Put my shorts on first thing expecting similar to yesterday but, of course, I had a day off work today so it was always going to be **** weather. Changed into my jeans at 11AM when it was stil 13C according to my car!

It was about 16C top temperature today. Put my shorts on first thing expecting similar to yesterday but, of course, I had a day off work today so it was always going to be **** weather. Changed into my jeans at 11AM when it was stil 13C according to my car!

I just looked at the BBC weather for Dundee. It really is from a radically different part of the planet!

Hey - Ho, at least you won't get your boots burned when you go hill-walking on Sunday.

I just looked at the BBC weather for Dundee. It really is from a radically different part of the planet!

Hey - Ho, at least you won't get your boots burned when you go hill-walking on Sunday.
I’m Monifieth rather than Dundee, the nearest BBC has is Broughty Ferry (about 2 miles away from us and 5 from Dundee) and it was about 3C cooler than Dundee today. Yesterday was glorious as well!

Last edited:
I just looked on the maps from google. So, you are on the North side of the Tay Estuary, some distance (5 km or 5 miles) to the East of Dundee, as you say. It has been nearly 30C only a few hundred miles south. Odd weather patterns for sure.

I read an article the other day and the gist of it was that in England, there is little to no chance of the reservoirs running dry due to the earlier wet weather filling them up, but they are concerned that certain parts of the network won't have the throughput for peak demand, so reduced pressure is a possibility.

I saw a similar article. It’s why they can normally predict hosepipe bans we’ll in advance, because it’s really the weather over the preceding winter that matters.

Hope the NI members on here are still able to brew....!

Roads melting, train tracks buckling, gritters being used to spread top layers of road surface, trains having to go slower. I really don’t understand how countries that are hot for longer periods of time don’t have to do all this and their trains even run on time!

Hi!
Apparently, there is enough water but they can't treat it fast enough to meet demand. It always puzzles me that we treat water to drinking quality then flush it down the pan.

I can't stand the heat and sun and can't wait until the days start to shorten, heralding the approach of autumn and better times. But I do appreciate how the lack of rain is turning the lawn brown and halting growth completely, thus eliminating the need to mow it. Out and about yesterday, I was amazed to see so many people actually watering their lawns!! What the hell??? Do they like cutting grass or summat?! This is why society is f*****.

I can't stand the heat and sun and can't wait until the days start to shorten, heralding the approach of autumn and better times. But I do appreciate how the lack of rain is turning the lawn brown and halting growth completely, thus eliminating the need to mow it. Out and about yesterday, I was amazed to see so many people actually watering their lawns!! What the hell??? Do they like cutting grass or summat?! This is why society is f*****.
I reseeded about a quarter of my lawn last year after taking some stuff out, that’s the bit that’s in shade and it’s lush green and about 8 inches tall. But bugger if I’m going to mow that while the rest of it is brown and shrivelled!

Just another example of infrastructure not keeping up with population growth.
Like the roads round here, right up to capacity and anything slightly out of the ordinary causes gridlock.

The BBC are reporting -

A hosepipe ban will start in Northern Ireland at 18:00 BST on Friday.

NI Water has appealed for people not to use water for washing cars, filling pools, or sprinkling gardens, as supply failures have already hit some areas.

It comes as temperatures are set to hit 29C on Friday, just a fraction lower than highs of 30.5C on Thursday.

Some 25 fighters are battling a major gorse fire on the Glenshane Pass, which has been burning for three days and now has a front up to 500m long.

****. As I am in Belfast I take it I shouldn’t use my immersion chiller then?

Latest posts

Back