Website design software

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good website designer package, something easy to use and visual, I'm not a code writer :ugeek:
Don't mind spending money if it comes recommended :thumb:

muddydisco said:
Anyone know of a good website designer package, something easy to use and visual, I'm not a code writer :ugeek:
Don't mind spending money if it comes recommended :thumb:
is Dream weaver any good to you.

Depending upon what you are wanting to do, systems such as DreamWeaver or Joomla! can allow you to get up and running with very functional websites very quickly.

Try http://www.moonfruit.co.uk It is a web a web based flash web building site which can cost you nothing to use. I have built a site on there ( though I didn't publish it in the end) and it looked better than my two sites I had designed for me. They have some limited function but for the majority of applications they are great.

:thumb:

Alistair

:cheers: I'm going to look at joomla it's not one that was on my radar and looks fairly good for what I need. I got three websites to build and one to full revamp so enough to keep me busy for a while

I like Joomla! . . .There are loads of Templates available (try Joomlashack) . . .The real problem is trying to grasp the concept that Layout and content are completely separate. . . Once you get your head round that it does get easier.

I'm a big fan of Wordpress as i design themes and plugins(ahem) and is probably a little friendlier to design themes for than say joomla or drupal (other CMS's)
I'm from a Flash design background and i will say although it looks great it's not great at being read by search engines so just something to be aware of there.

As to design software you might want to look into
http://www.artisteer.com/
or
http://www.theescapers.com/ - mac only i think but a very good wysiwyg tool

Then again you might want to send me a pm :D

PB

I have had two sites built for me in Joomla. They are easy to use once built but i wouldn't know were to start to build one even the dummies book went way over my head :lol: :lol:

First thing to do when you install Joomla! for the first time is to install the sample data, that gets you going with a framework to start playing with.

You will need a hosting package with PHP and MySQL available, I use e-noise.com and they have scripts which will do the initial setup for you, so you have just a few choices to make to get up and running with your site. Then it is a matter to applying one of the thousands of free templates which meets your needs (and you can tweak from there) and get the modules/components which you want to use.

If you wanted to have a play on a site, pm me and I could make a subdomain available with the basic package on it, to give you a chance of having a play around before deciding whether you want to go that way.

Thanks for the Info :thumb:
I already have sub's to play with from another web site I have up, that was built 5 odd years ago on front page.
Just need to refresh how to do things again and i'll be running like a pro :whistle:
Got 3 sites to build from scratch and the old one to redo / rebuild from scratch so plenty of time to learn on the way :)

I need to build a site to... I am a programmer, but not a web programmer :lol: Still, learning my way around HTML, but may need to try a web site builder of some kind if I want to get the needed site of the ground quickly :hmm:

graysalchemy said:
Try http://www.moonfruit.co.uk It is a web a web based flash web building site which can cost you nothing to use. I have built a site on there ( though I didn't publish it in the end) and it looked better than my two sites I had designed for me. They have some limited function but for the majority of applications they are great.

:thumb:

Alistair

Saw your post last week and gave it a go .... dead easy, I created this site in a couple of hours. I'd recommend this to anyone!
http://highlandsred.moonfruit.com/
Thanks for the link GA!

Flash Based websites are an invention of the devil and should be shunned :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aleman said:
Flash Based websites are an invention of the devil and should be shunned :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Agreed infinity%

Aww. Phpbb won't let me use the infinity sign.

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x88\x9E%' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: [email protected]

Aleman said:

I have so many demands on my time that I thought the ability to be able to create a website for school in a very short time was great! I plan to replace the content of the one I linked above with all of our community cohesion info... am I about to cause myself lots of problems? I know almost nothing about website design - other than I don't want to spend hours on it.
Thanks!

Back