weird pc problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, just logged on and the only site i can open is this one! hotmail, google, facebook etc all say "internet explorer cannot open this webpage blh blah". Anyone eve seen a virus like this?

robsan77 said:
Hi, just logged on and the only site i can open is this one!
So where's the problem? :wha:

As I see it, main issues are:
1. You're using a PC :lol:
2. You're using Explorer :rofl:

Some virus can do this kind of thing.
Do you have access to another pc?
If so, download malwarebytes anti malware program.
You can get this from download.com or just google for it.
Install, update then scan. Sorts most things out.
Phil

there is only one true long term answer APPLE MAC! virus???? who makes viruses for macs???? nobody! wayhay!

they look kinda cool aswell

iPad. best purchase I've made in years.
Do they do viruses for these yet? :wha:

Installed unix on the youngest sons pc and it seems to work great, umbato :oops: or something like that.

Still have me old laptop but it only gets turned on about one a fortnight.

I had problems on a PC here and started again with linuxmint ( thanks to someone on this forum ). Much better than windows, easy to install and free :thumb: PC is now much faster, everything installed no problem, I just had a slight fight to get my printer working to photo quality but a few forum reads and it's running better than it did in windows. :clap:

Goto 63.245.209.24 (Thats getfirefox.com) and d/l FF. If it is an I.E. problem this using FF will allow you to get an on-line virus scan done.

It could be your AV (esp. if you use Bull Guard) try disabling them and try again.

If all else fails get a copy of Mint and run that :thumb:

It could be a trojan that has hijacked your localhosts file (Look in windows\system32) there should only be one entry

127.0.0.1 localhost

anything else may have been put in there legitimately

Also clear your web cache

Malwarebytes is a very good scanner . . . also try alvira

Microsoft security essentials is also pretty good these days . .. once you get back on the web.

Had a similar problem awhile back and it just needed the cache being cleared.

Linuxmint is ...er ...Mint though :thumb:

When it comes to Linux I have to say Ubuntu rocks my world.

Is it sad that I'm getting so over excited about the release of Maverick Meerkat in 2 days time.

bobingtonsmyth said:

Is it sad that I'm getting so over excited about the release of Maverick Meerkat in 2 days time.

hmm, I can't wait to open up the terminal and sort out all my hardware issues again :)

Seriously though I'd give it a month or so to let them iron out any problems that become apparent on a wider release.

I like xubuntu as I have an elderly machine. I think the buntus are debian based. I also have an old XP box and SWMBO has a Mac. I guess we are computer agnostic...

I'm too out of date on Windows to be much use to the OP beyond the advice already given. Any luck solving your problem robsan77?

I had something similar last week ... right pain in the ****! Stopped me accessing just about everywhere and kept throwing up a message telling me my computer was infected and I needed to blow 70 quid on the software to sort it .. can't remember what it was called now - had a really stupid 'obvious' name.

I have two computers, used the other and I found the cure on youtube. I can find the removal instructions if you need them (they're at home)

:cheers:

TheMumbler said:
bobingtonsmyth said:

hmm, I can't wait to open up the terminal and sort out all my hardware issues again :)

Seriously though I'd give it a month or so to let them iron out any problems that become apparent on a wider release.

A month?? Can't wait that long, I've had every new version of Ubuntu on day of release since Hardy Heron...

Hmmm on reflection I'm really coming across as a geek... ahhh well ;)

thanks all for the replies. lots to think about and lots of updating to do. :thumb:

My Linksys/cisco router has a firewall built in, which has a bug that cisco haven't fixed in a firmware upgrade. It basically stops me from blocking Websites by URL . ..As Daughter has GCSE's coming up I need to block Facebook etc . . . I know that Damfoose uses a linux based firewall running on a low spec PC (Which I have several of), just wondering if there are any suggestions.

hairybiker said:
I used to use a smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org/) you just need a p133 2Gb+HD and a couple of nics in it. I only stopped because I had to cut my 'leccy bills

n Best free firewall and it stops bugs dead in their tracks 90% of the time... Nothing is 100% fool proof unfortunatley

Latest posts

Back