Weizenbock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got my Christmas beer in the fermenter. Quantities for a 15L brew.

Water
Ca 65, Mg 6.5, Cl 100, SO4 70

Fermentables
Wheat 2.72kg
Vienna 1.36kg
Munich II 0.68kg
Caramunich I 150g
Special W 150g
Chocolate Dark 150g
Melanodin 85g

Step Mash
43C - 15 min
62C - 45 min
68C - 15 min
75C - 10 min

Boil - 60min
41g Tettnang - 60min

Yeast
WLP380 - Hefeweizen IV

Very enjoyable brewday, 15L in fementer at 1.062. An undershoot (but still a bock!), think I oversparged slightly.

IMG_0114.jpeg

Fermentation is pretty much done, the water bath was set at 20C but it fermented out at 22C all week. FG 1.016 giving an ABV of 6.4% and 74% attenuation. The swig from the trial was wheat then chocolate first followed by an absolute face full of banana. I’m fizzing with excitement at this one. Only 3 more months and it’ll be ready to drink.
8A1466DE-0F72-4C79-9A1C-FC8B785B528A.jpeg

I love this style of beer.
Same here. This is my first bash at one, the whole batch is getting bottled and it’s destined for swaps. PM me if you’ve you’ve got a bock to swap (of any variety).
I’m following up my next lager brew with a dopplebock, either pitching harvested wy2308 from the original starter or pitching dopplebock wort straight on to the lager yeast cake. As it’s a lager I’ll probably go with the first of those options.

My favourite style. It’s hard to brew right, easy for it to be harshly boozy or over phenolic.

WLP380 is a great choice of yeast. Stands up well to the higher levels of malt and booze for the style.

I really need to brew another one of these!

My favourite style. It’s hard to brew right, easy for it to be harshly boozy or over phenolic.

WLP380 is a great choice of yeast. Stands up well to the higher levels of malt and booze for the style.

I really need to brew another one of these!
Excellent, another potential taker. Care to offer a critique when it’s ready?

I’d be delighted to, and will provide something in return. It won’t be a weizenbock, although I’ve now put one in my brew schedule for late this year.
Perfect. What ever’s floating your boat at the time will be ideal. My plan is to send out five litres and drink the other ten myself. The feedback from you lot, who are mostly better brewers and tasters than I am, can then greatly shorten the journey to wiezenbock nirvana for me😀

Fancy a go at that, although I've never tasted one. Be nice to have an Xmas brew, and I have virtually all the ingredients, bar the hops, but perhaps I should try one first. I'll have a look on my local beer shop inventory.

Fancy a go at that, although I've never tasted one. Be nice to have an Xmas brew, and I have virtually all the ingredients, bar the hops, but perhaps I should try one first. I'll have a look on my local beer shop inventory.
You’re on the list. Spent today getting a Munich Helles into keg and preparing the water for tomorrows Irish Red brew. So I’ll be bottling this one up while the mash is on.

Waitrose sell one of the erdinger ones called Pikantus , its a decent representation. Also close to the scottish minimum pricing policy, so actually good value for me at least:laugh8:
I like the Pikantus, but I haven’t had one for a while. I’ll get a couple in for benchmarking when this brew is ready to taste.

Latest posts

Back