Welsh National Homebrew Competition 2017

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only just started brewing AG so might wait until next year...

However given it takes me 10 minutes to walk to the new brewery is there a general entry for the public to come view ? Maybe even taste a few ?

Firstly, I would say go for it. You may not win anything first comp but you will get feedback that will help you. I know I did. Secondly, if you are close and can spare the time, volunteer to be a steward. I learned tons last year and tasted each beer with the judges.

I understand entries will be locked down 1st June, so if you had not decided what beer you were going to enter, now is the time to do that!

Talking to the organizers they need a few more stewards - anyone who has signed up for this, who wants to be a steward, please login to the site and indicate you want to steward.

https://homebrewcompetition.wales/

You get to taste a lot of beer alongside the judges, which is really interesting. You get lunch. You get to talk beer all day with good folks. And you help everything go smoothly, finding the right beers out of 350 different bottles, opening beers, cleaning up spillages and so on. And hopefully we get a mini tour of the brewery.....

If you fancy being a steward, but have NOT signed up for the comp, send me a PM.

I was a steward last year, and it's a great day out. Enjoyed it so much I did a BJCP judging course, took my tasting exam earlier in the month and will be judging at this one. Here is a blog post by Nick, one of the organizers that explains what is involved.

https://ukcbn.co.uk/what-does-a-bjcp-competition-steward-actually-do/

Got my entries brewed, need to get them posted next week. They're not competition winning standard by any means unfortunately but it'll be good to get some feedback.

I'd have loved to be a steward, think it would be a good laugh, but I'm not free that weekend.

Got my entries brewed, need to get them posted next week. They're not competition winning standard by any means unfortunately but it'll be good to get some feedback.

:thumb: hey you never know! I brewed a couple of beers especially for the comp, but they are disappointing. I recently moved to a grainfather from BIAB and need to tweak my recipes a little with a new process. Not as good as I have brewed them before. damn.

Oh and did everyone see this about the top prize?

After talking with Brad from Tiny Rebel earlier today, not only is the winner going to get huge bragging rights, and some other goodies, they are also going to be invited along to a special brew day at Tiny Rebel to brew their winning beer at the brewery. So if you fancy helping brew your beer with pro brewers, it's time to dust off your best beers and make sure you have them entered.

:cheers:

I'm a little confused as to my position here... I have the beer brewed however just realised (been away and manic at work) that I've not paid yet.
Do my registered entries still count? Or do they not as not paid the fees yet? Not sure how I overlooked this. Not the first blunder I've made this month! 😔

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm a little confused as to my position here... I have the beer brewed however just realised (been away and manic at work) that I've not paid yet.
Do my registered entries still count? Or do they not as not paid the fees yet? Not sure how I overlooked this. Not the first blunder I've made this month! 😔

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Lock down is tomorrow so if you pay and confirm entries today you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm packing up my entry to post off this weekend to arrive early next week. Slight snag, I can't find the entry form on the website anywhere. I can find the bottle labels but not the entry form which I think had recipe details and so forth. Does anyone have it and can message me an attachment? I've sent a message to the organisers through the website as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that recipe bit was a mistake, it's not needed. Bottle labels should be it, I think.

I sent my bottles in last week. The website needs a bit of an overhaul next year, it's been very confusing.

Did you just do labels or a form as well? The form was definitely linked to previously and it still says in the narrative to fill it in fully. I'm inclined to agree with you out about the confusing nature of the site.

I just posted my entry today, didn't want to risk missing the deadline next weds. Also after trying a bottle last night, I'm as happy with it as one would be. I don't think I'll get near the prizes but it's going to be a great way to get feedback regardless.

Just the label for the bottle is needed. Nothing else. I have confirmed that.

The website and software is "off the shelf" used for homebrew comps and it looks like it has a few bugs. So forget about the form. Bottle label is all you need.

Thanks Toffee for checking this, much appreciated.

Funny but not funny thing. I posted mine mid week only to find that it got shipped back to me even though it was entered on the system to go to the shipping location.
Parcel force just read the top address(mine). I used the prepopulated labels from the website. Managed to get it resent today

Funny but not funny thing. I posted mine mid week only to find that it got shipped back to me even though it was entered on the system to go to the shipping location.
Parcel force just read the top address(mine). I used the prepopulated labels from the website. Managed to get it resent today

I was a little nervous of that so I added From and To myself!

great news from the organizers today, is that Tiny Rebel are letting us put the beers into their cold store a few days before the comp. so all the bottles will be at cellar temp, and settled, when being judged.

I popped into Mad Dog Brewery today, to drop my entries off, and there are loads of boxes there now. reminder, last date for dropoff or post is weds, but you are OK till friday, as last ones will be picked up next Sat.

Tiny Rebel brewery are having their official opening this day, too. This is a mixed blessing. Good news, lots of extra publicity for the comp and raising the profile of homebrewing. And Craig Charles is there as a DJ! Bad news, tickets sold out in under an hour, and entry to the brewery this day is now limited to those with tickets to the opening event, and those judging/stewarding. No other visitors, or "ordinary" entrants to the awards ceremony, it seems.

Two days left to register as a steward if you wanted to go along on the day, though.

Back