New Competition rules.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing as no one has objected to my added guidelines, @Chippy_Tea please can you add these two rules under the judges section?

Judges must state whether they have any dietary requirements when choosing a competition month. This will get recorded in the Homebrew Competition Schedule thread. Judges must announce in their competition thread any dietary requirements as well. If there are too many restrictions this can be discussed on a case by case basis, keeping in mind the community spirit of the event. There is the possibility of judges swapping months or parallel competitions, or whatever the participants and judge decide.

A competition schedule for the following year will be released early November which is based on a first come first serve basis. However, if you have judged previously please consider allowing someone who hasn't judged previously to have a chance

thanks

Can I ask for some detail about posting bottles?

I am a bit lairy about this, could forum members describe their packaging procedure please?

I wonder too, when a bottle of 'clear' beer is disturbed by being posted, how many days it takes to re-clear, so as to speak? I guess judges have to leave newly arrived parcels to settle for a while before tasting.

I am a bit lairy about this, could forum members describe their packaging procedure please?

I wonder too, when a bottle of 'clear' beer is disturbed by being posted, how many days it takes to re-clear, so as to speak? I guess judges have to leave newly arrived parcels to settle for a while before tasting.
I normally use a shoe box. Wrap the bottle in bubble wrap. Try your best to fill the box so the bottle can't move about. It's 3.20 for a small parcel under 2kg with royal mail, second class. You can normally fit 2 X 330ml or 1 X 500ml + 1x 330ml glass bottles.
If you entering a bottled conditioned beer I would try aiming to have it delivered at least a week before judging. This will give it time for the sediment to settle out. If it's keg condition leave it as close to judging date as possible.

All covered by samale. Pringles boxes are good or you can buy boxes designed for sending liquid.

One other question, please. I saw a comment on another thread about competition entries having to be in brown beer bottles.

Is this a requirement for THF comps, or was it referring to some other comps?

One other question, please. I saw a comment on another thread about competition entries having to be in brown beer bottles.

Is this a requirement for THF comps, or was it referring to some other comps?
I think that may have been from another competition. Bottles can be any colour of the rainbow as far as this competition is concerned 🌈

I've started filling up a PET bottle (cleaned out sanitised 500ml coke bottle) for each batch when I bottle so I can judge carbonisation levels by squeezing the bottle.

I plan on submitting the PET one for competitions as it'll survive the postage better than glass

I've started filling up a PET bottle (cleaned out sanitised 500ml coke bottle) for each batch when I bottle so I can judge carbonisation levels by squeezing the bottle.

I plan on submitting the PET one for competitions as it'll survive the postage better than glass

Ok

I send mine (glass) in inflatable bubble bags which aren't very expensive, placed in the specially made (expensive) boxes for liquid, as Leon mentions above.

I think I will change to plastic bottles, then I can afford to send more stuff out. I think the pringles idea is genius though, assuming you can get all the grease out! :D (and the smell, lol)

Last edited:
Back