Wezathon Drinkathon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
I have been promising myself this for a while now but was held back by the fact the Wez hadn't actually posted them. :lol:

However, now I have all three bottles in front of me and, well, they are going to get it tight. :party:

WezathonDrinkalong.jpg

So there you have it, I'm going to start off with Harvest Gold, move through to Bog Frog and then complete the hat trick with the Fledgling Pride.

"I'm going outside now, I may be some time" - wish me luck! :lol:

Harvest Gold, 5.3%

fp2.jpg
fp1.jpg

The beer poured nice and clear with a lively head. The head didn't hang around but it still retained good condition till the bottom. Good fruity nose and taste. I recognised the torrified wheat taste from an IPA I made a while ago, however I think the use was better that my attempt. Nice clean malt on the palate with an attractive swwet finish and long length. The mix of the cascade and bobek was great - I wouldn't have thought to do that as I would think they are normally fairly dominant. This worked really well.

Good beer Wez, very quenching and moreish.

Moving on......

Bog Frog 5.5%

bf1.jpg

Again, as I hope you can see, it is nice and clear. On first sniff you can tell that it is the sibling of the previous incumbant of my tulip glass. The crystal malt gives a nice caramel taste to the beer but there are some nice deep roasty flavours coming through. I noticed this has an OG of 1056 and BU of 35 but it certainly has a nice bite that compliments the weight of the beer (I would have expected greater BU).

Where as Harvest Gold was a good refreshing pale ale this has moved onto a more winter ale footing. More substantial and filling but is also great drinking. This has almost a belgian candy mouthfeel but subsides to a fairly dry finish.

Another good'n mate :thumb:

steve_flack said:
Dunfie, you've got your pics and titles mixed up... ;)

Whoops, thanks Steve. Going to fix it now. Mind you I shouldn't do this so as to make you look daft and not me. :oops:

Re: Bog Frog - Steve Flack gave me very similar feedback about the IBU, I wonder if I need to have a look at the settings in Beer Smith? I'd be interested to know what sort of IBU range you would have put it in :)

Thats not a bad price actually, at least then you can tune your system in :hmm:

Wez said:
Re: Bog Frog - Steve Flack gave me very similar feedback about the IBU, I wonder if I need to have a look at the settings in Beer Smith? I'd be interested to know what sort of IBU range you would have put it in :)

Perhaps its because it has the a relatively high OG compared to the age of the beer. You would normally expect a beer like this to be aged a bit and this would allow the bitterness to mellow. It might be that the BU is perfect while young - stick a few back and let us know what it tastes like in 6 months. :wha: :)

Wez said:
Thats not a bad price actually, at least then you can tune your system in :hmm:
Actually I lied...it's £19.

http://www.brewlab.co.uk/analysisandres ... #beer&wort

Beer & Wort

Alcohol by volume (per sample) £18
Bitterness £19
Colour £6
PH £4
Full chemical survey (above 4 analyses) £38
Microbiological assessment (2 plate) £21
Microbiological assessment (2 plate plus count) £23
Fermentability £19
Present Gravity £7.50

Maybe you could claim poverty or a homebrewer or CBA rate (if you're a member). You don't get if you don't ask. Buy a couple of yeasts whilst your on...Standard Ale is a cracker.

Excellent info Steve - I think we need to get that stickied or somewhere where it won't be forgotten :)

They used to do a Taste training course . . . Might have a word with Keith and see what it costs . . .Worth a Meet up one day, with the NCAB etc? Interested??

I also notice that they have stopped doing the three/four day Craft brewing course . . . need to ask about that . . . again probably with my CBA hat on

Fledgling Pride 6.0%

fledg1.jpg
fledg2.jpg

Another successfully clear beer which produced a nice head when poured. This is, not to downplay its merits, a classic good old fashioned strong bitter. It actually reminded me of White Shield with the old type darker pale ale style, good malt profile and sharp bitterness and a slight appliness (like Bog Frog it was surprisingly light in BU). Certainly drier than the last two but clean and refreshing. It tastes like a classic from your part of the woods.

Thanks Wez, you have managed to get me quite tipsy. I was eying up Vossy's hop monster but I'll leave that for another night and stick to the darker beers now.

:cheers:

Thanks for the reviews and feedback D :thumb:

It's nice to have provided your Friday night ales :)

I like FP, it's a good winter warming bitter :drink:

(might just go and get one :grin: )

Wez said:
Thanks for the reviews and feedback D :thumb:

It's nice to have provided your Friday night ales :)

I like FP, it's a good winter warming bitter :drink:

(might just go and get one :grin: )

Not a problem - I had a great time (you might have noticed). I will return the favour soon once I have the appropriate beers ready (I only have a couple left you haven't tried already).

Back