What Chemicals for Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Reaction score
as in the title really, what chemicals do I (as a complete beginner) need to buy to make cider from apple pulp?

I've been given a load of equipment, and will be investing in a good book, but in the meantime i'd like to know so I can stock back up on anything that's missing from this box full of stuff! :?

Campden tablet - If you want to kill of the wild yeasties and use cider yeast
Pectolase (Pectic enzyme) - helps stop a pectin haze forming

They are the only two major ones that I can think of. you can get other fancy ones to do different things but they are the only essential ones in my opinion. Its also important to steralise equipment.

Hope this helps :)

i reccomend getting some vinclear or add more pectolase as my apple cider came out really cloudy, even after a long wait.

Peapodmaster said:
my apple cider came out really cloudy, even after a long wait.
Define “long” ?

And you don't need to put “apple” in front of “cider”, like you would never put “grape” before “wine” ;)

Bit of a given but get some Sanitizer to give everything a good clean before you start. :thumb:

When I first say the thread I though that was the type of chemicals you were after.

Cheers

Marrsy

Well, i've always drunken pear cider before apple.. so.. i usually put it there ;).

It has taken 6 weeks now and its still cloudy.

my cider was very clear (because I'd left if on a shelf in the DJ for several months), but then when I moved it to bottle, the sediment got disturbed.

I've learnt to store it somewhere high up whilst fermenting so that I don't need to lift if when racking, or bottling, so less likely to disturb sediment. last years FV was on the floor in the front porch (it's warmer), and had to be moved through the house to the kitchen, and up onto the table, so the sediment was really stirred up - doh!

my cider i just did 1 camden tablet to 4.5 ltr of apple juice left for 24 hours then put in yeast :thumb:

i am going to prime cider with about 5ml of brewing suggar per 500ml of cider ???????

as i want it fizzy wot else should i add as no body said owt about cloudy cider :wha:

i have got about 160 ltr of cider just about done now so soon be time for kegs and bottles :thumb: :drunk:

hi did you make your cider :drunk: out of real apples if so how mutch per ltr did you add i take it you added it at the end ??????????? :thumb:

Peapodmaster said:
i reccomend getting some vinclear or add more pectolase as my apple cider came out really cloudy, even after a long wait.

yeah out of real apples, i made 5 litres worth and i added 1 and a half tsp's its clearing little now after 6 weeks... but its still very cloudy.

What are unreal apples?

My cider is not clear. But would I really want it to look like a Magners flavoured apple alcoholic beverage? It's just a little cloudy, but it's full of taste. But then, it's nothing but apple juice fermented by yeast. I leave it from September until April before racking it off. I then enjoy it all summer long.

Latest posts

Back