What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
25 litres of Bohemian Pils - first hops just gone in (Saaz)... phenomenal aroma
58845F03-D26D-4E0E-A761-FBE8584A479B.jpeg

Today I racked my dark porter (clibit's recipe), and the air-locks are plinking away so vigorously that I fear they may become a major source of global warming! :D

Three demijohn's of asda red grape juice wine on the go.
Forgot I'd not picked up any sugar from lidl since they had none on the shelves, so had to nip up to the local co op on foot having drank a glass or two of merlot :D

IMG_20210523_204025482.jpg

One each of
Crossmyloof red wine yeast.
Crossmyloof all purpose yeast.
Wilko wine yeast.
All bubbling away after an hour or so.
Even though I was too lazy to dissolve the sugar :D

IMG_20210523_212149798.jpg

Brewed a dunkel weiss on Sunday. Although i made the mistake of ordering pils malt instead of barke munich, but went with it anyway. Will bottle it on Thursday

60% w malted wheat
33% w barke pils
7% w caramunich 3
About 20 ibus homegrown hallertau mittelfruh
Wy 3068 repitch from urweiss.
1.042. liked the lower abv urweisse so decided to go low again.

Step mash

We were away at the weekend and the brewing schedule suffered. Ending lockdown is an issue!

Decided to brew today. Mashed in between the 4.30 and 5.00 Zoom calls and read kids stories during the boil. They were quite forgiving of me nipping downstairs mid-chapter for hop additions.

Anyway an adapted version of the English IPA I brewed in January. Based on Thornbridge Seaforth recipe from the Mitch Steele IPA book.

95% MO
3% Crystal
1.5% Amber
0.5% Chocolate

Hops were Challenger, Endeavour and Styrian Goldings; the first two because I had plenty more than any other reason.

Nottingham yeast.

OG 1058. Hoping to finish up a bit north of 6%.

The wort is down to about 22C, now in the fridge. Time to wash up, pitch yeast when it falls to 20C and then bed.

On reflection, I'd rather brew on a Sunday morning. Much more chilled.

Just weighed and milled 4.25kg of assorted grain, treated 32.5L of hard as nails United utilities special with campden, CRS, Gypsum and CaCl.

I'm going to attempt an early brew, getting to boil before I start work tomorrow. A light day tomorrow at work in terms of meetings, so should be able to juggle work and play ;) for an ideal work/life balance.

Aiming for something similar to Black Sheep Best Bitter, cos I reckon the TT Landlord in my keg ain't going to last long!

Just bottled today New Zealand Pilsner by Festival and then got another kit on go. Went with Morgan's Australian Lager and left out the dextrose but went instead a tin of Morgans Caramalt and for good measure half litre of Caramel Syrup. Replaced the **** kit yeast with Muntons gold yeast, a good all rounder this to eat the complex sugars.

Hard as nails? The water here is quite average, certainly not particularly hard compared to other parts of the country,
Where are you based moto748? My Ormskirk water comes from a mix of groundwater sources and the River Dee according to UU. The water here is over 100 HCO3 harder than reported for a town 5 miles down the road.

Where are you based moto748? My Ormskirk water comes from a mix of groundwater sources and the River Dee according to UU. The water here is over 100 HCO3 harder than reported for a town 5 miles down the road.
This is my water from UU in south Warrington

Appleton
48 calcium
25 sulphate
27 chloride
87 alkalinity
35 sodium
15.7 magnesium

This is my water from UU in south Warrington

Appleton
48 calcium
25 sulphate
27 chloride
87 alkalinity
35 sodium
15.7 magnesium

And for me:
61 Calcium
23 Magnesium
27 Sodium
63 Sulphite
29 Chloride
176 Alkalinity
Hardness Total as CaCO3 = 248

OK, so not hard as nails right now, but I've seen it fluctuate between about 200 and 350, hard enough to warrant water treatment for light ales and lagers.

Brewed up 25L of Black Sheep Best Bitter-ish ale.
OG 1.044 and pitched 250ml of saved West Yorkshire 1469 yeast slurry.

Mini pump gave up after 30 seconds so lots of stirring to be done while chilling. Wort smells, tastes and looks great.
rps20210526_160840.jpg

Back