What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready for the mash, my first season
6D0F75D6-8774-4980-914A-1B3E8DBCC34C.jpeg

Brewed a English pale last night. Busy brew night as I had to bottle the last of my brown ale to clear space in the kegerator. Then kegged a Altbier. Cleaned the fermzilla, then in a rushed daze I tightened not loosen the fermzilla lid and then I couldn't get it off. So I had to santise my old one while the brew was chilling 😖. Anyway the brew hit all the numbers. Altbier was a couple of points short on the FG but happy to have a couple of beers under 5%
Altbier sample looked a nice colour
IMG_20210705_200813.jpg

English pale was hopped with First Gold & East Kent Goldings and used Cml Four yeast.
IMG_20210705_231419.jpg

Link to brew sheet below
https://share.brewfather.app/9H7vN7ZV82R1vd

Wicked Witches Brew, Brewed last night after dark A Recipe found in Graham Wheelers Books and modified with the addition of goldings as the second addition and also will be dry hopping with goldings on day 10.

I finally got around to brewing something today, that has been on my to-brew list for ages, an all Challenger bitter. I have always loved the smell of Challenger hops, but have never seen a single hop beer made with them, maybe there's a reason for that.

All went smoothly until I started to pump through the CFC, and ......... nothing, a whir from the motor, but no flow. ashock1 Turn off, turn on, nothing, not even getting into the silicone hose that feeds into the CFC. Removed CFC and connected recirc arm, still nothing. I had recently scavenged some of the fittings from my immersion chiller, so that was a non starter. In the end I jugged the wort out of the GF and through a sieve into the FV, then carried the hot FV into the fridge and inserted the Inkbird temp sensor, I thought it would never stop rising, but after 10 minutes it came to a halt at 64° (will probably be hotter in the centre). Opened the door and was hit by hot air, the internal surfaces of the fridge were hot too. Have now left it with the fridge door wide open and the temperature is slowly falling. God knows what the beer will turn out like.

I’ve had that on the odd occasion. I found if you hold the pump at either end and throw it away from you (don’t let go!) with a bit of a flick as if you’re trying to flick the motor into rotation it will start again. I think it might be where the pump rotor has either got a bit sticky or a bit of debris has got in.

I’ve had that on the odd occasion. I found if you hold the pump at either end and throw it away from you (don’t let go!) with a bit of a flick as if you’re trying to flick the motor into rotation it will start again. I think it might be where the pump rotor has either got a bit sticky or a bit of debris has got in.
Have now found the problem, it was hop gunk stuck in the 2 valves. Simple fix, but annoying as I could have cleared it in 2 minutes if I'd thought to look and could have avoided all the other messing around.

So am I.
This is the first day in weeks that it's not raining and blowing a wind strong enough to interfere with my gas burners. Can't wait to get outside and put a decent-sized batch of something on. Not that I've been shirking in the meantime, done a couple of 5 and 12 litre experiments, but a good quaffing bitter is exactly what's called for.
Nice slipper, Rod. Have you got another one quite similar?

Last edited:
I brewed 23L of Modelo Cervesa
4000g lager malt
1000g flaked maize
11g each of Cascade and Amarillo @ 60m
25g Willamette @15m
MJ M54 yeast @18C
OG 1044 expected 1048 but BHE only 63%. However should hit target ABV for the style.

Chilled out brew day as we are isolating and can't go out even if we'd like to.

An adapted clone recipe of Deya's Hokum Stomp Oatmeal Porter.

Very complex grain bill with MO, oats, Amber, Aromatic, Crystal, Carafa 3, Choc Malt, Pale Choc Malt and Dextrin. Magnum for IBUs and Bramling Cross for flavour. US05 yeast.

The recipes all say it will have a FG of 1018 which seems high for US05 even with a bill that has low diastatic power.

We will see.
After a week brew is down to 1012 and I suspect it will stay there. 1018 always felt wrong.

Inspired by Camden off menu IPA, yesterday I brewed a Simcoe pale ale.
18L batch.
Extra pale MO, Cara and a little extra dark Crystal
EBC 12.6
IBU 51
20gm at 60, 10gm at 10 and 5gm each of Simcoe/Citra for 60min hopstand.
Will dry hop with 30gm each Simcoe/Citra

OG a little down from recipe at 1.051, should turn out around 5.25%

Next up another ESB to replace the last one which didn't last long.
Combination of Challenger/Target to bitter, Fuggles later in boil and for hopstand, Target to dry hop.
Will sugar prime in corny as last time which worked really well

Just finished brewing an Old Thumper ESB with Ringwood yeast yesterday and my fermenter is already rocking! A really active fermentation is a beautiful thing :)

It's struck me I'm maybe pushing my luck a bit with the Cali Common, considering the ambient temp, a yeast with a recommended pitching temp of 18-20 deg seems pretty cool. I still haven't pitched it yet, hoping it'll cool a little more, On the upside, though, FG and target volume both achieved, which is very pleasing!

Next batch of parsnip stout bottled, though, so another day not wasted! 😀

cali1.jpeg

I re-purposed a rubber trug from the garden, and bunged in some cold water and a few ice-cubes.

Hey presto, sophisticated cooling system! The Cali appears to be doing fine, and smells wonderful. Wort temp is around 22 deg. It's a bit high, but hey, it's the time of year! It doesn't look too distressed to me.

I just checked and it's gone from 1050 when I pitched on Wednesday afternoon to 1009 now. So I figured I'd better get it into demi-johns sharpish! 😀 Hopefully it'll start to clear a bit in the next few days,

Latest posts

Back