What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An English Porter to fit BJCP 13c. My first brew after a short break. After having issues with the kitchen stove controls on my last couple of brews, I've switched to an outside burner.
DSC_1644.JPG

Moved house recently and still have yet to do an all-grain batch. I figured I'd start with a kit so bought the Festive American IPA kit that was on sale at Brew UK. This is the first beer kit I've done in over a decade and I don't remember them being this easy. Hope it turns out well, but I'm looking forward to getting back to all-grain no matter the result.

IMG_8044.jpg

5644155C-0C00-4FB3-BD9C-B254C9C75F4E.jpeg
4L of turbo cider probably the easiest drink possible in terms of “brewing”, 4 litres of Tesco Apple Juice, a small mug of strong black tea and a sachet of CML Cider Yeast, yet tastes damm good if the previous couple of batches are anything to go by.

Today I brewed a modified version of last years damson wheat beer. Swapped 500g of MO for Munich and added 100g of dextrin and oats. Using 3kg frozen Damsons on day 3 after vos kveik has gone nuts after a 40c pitch and wrap.

Still wondering if North Kent water needs some more treatment than just campden to improve mash efficiency as my mash numbers are always low?:?:

Well I was supposed to brew a doppel dunkel weizen bock. something a bit Aventinus-like.

3kg dwe
1kg extra dark dme
710g gs
500g extra dark candy sugar.

18.5 litres.

However I pitched MJ's Bavarian yeast which is good for 7.5% as it says on the packet. My og was 1.101 - whoops! - it looks like it could be around 10% so the yeast is not likely to finish the job. Guess I'll have to pitch another yeast to finish it ashock1 .

Today a Bass Pale ale clone, of sorts.

The mash.
001.JPG

Ph after correction from room to mash temperature comes in at 5.2 5.4.
004.JPG

Vorlauf for 20 minutes
003.JPG

Squeeze the grain.
005.JPG

Always comes out around 2.5 litre mark
007.JPG
The boil.
009.JPG
1,052 OG as predicted

010.JPG

Safely tucked away in the fermenting room.
013.JPG

Time for a beer another clone, London Pride.
012.JPG

Last edited:
One thing I didn't mention was the cost of the brew day. During the time power was being used including a 1 hour vigorous boil, domestic kettle going on for cups of tea or coffee was $1.36 AUD or 80p. Total energy collected from solar was 3.82 kW-h with a feed in tariff of 0.68c /kWh to the grid = $2.60 rounded off so still in front with the brew day costing zilch.

I brewed 22 litres of New Zealand IPA
5000g MO
300g Vienna
200g Carapils
200g Naked oats
100g Melanoidin
25g Southern Cross @60m
25g Rakau @15m
50g Māori mingle whirlpool @ 90C for 20m
CML Pia yeast
OG1063 BHE 76%

I can’t decide whether to dry hop with the other 50g of Māori.
Go for it....I really like that hop👍

View attachment 75005
4L of turbo cider probably the easiest drink possible in terms of “brewing”, 4 litres of Tesco Apple Juice, a small mug of strong black tea and a sachet of CML Cider Yeast, yet tastes damm good if the previous couple of batches are anything to go by.
We do this alot. also chuck various bottles of squash in to flavour…

Latest posts

Back