What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
22 litres of Five Points Bitter (Second brew in my new AIO).
3600g MO
200g Crystal 40L
200g Torrefied wheat
200g Biscuit malt
Fuggles
50g @60m, 20g @15m, 30g @ whirlpool 85C for 20m
Gervin yeast
OG 1046 BHE 75%

View attachment 81149View attachment 81150View attachment 81150View attachment 81151
That's a good looking recipe. I do similar. Do the photos show recirculating through the spider when whirlpooling? Just read a response, it is. I'm going to pinch that, thanks!

Finally using last seasons homegrown Cascade. It was dehydrated and vacuum packed (to save space). First time Ive tried this process.
It‘s going in a simple pale : Maris otter base, light crystal and a couple of handfuls of left over carapils. Challenger is in there for bittering and I’m using Lallemand English Ale yeast.

First brew of the year, so it’s great to be back in the saddle 🙂

Decided to give @Hazelwood Brewery Rye IPA a try (thankyou for sharing the recipe), two alterations I scaled it down to 15 litres and am using CML Five yeast instead of US-05 (Although I suspect they are the same yeast just repackaged).

Brew day more or less went smoothly (except for thirty seconds of wondering why my boiler wouldn’t turn on helps if you remember to turn on the power socket, personally I blame it on being five thirty in the morning when I started), but all done now and 15.2L in the fermentor just need to wait for it to cool over night to check I’ve hit my numbers.

Porter time today. Tweaked the recipe a bit with some Crystal Rye in the mash and Bramling Cross leading the late hops. Also reverted to US-05.

81% MO
7% Brown
7% Crystal Rye
5% Chocolate

Challenger to bitter. Willamette and Bramling Cross late on. I'll do a modest dry hop with the latter too.

Targeting 1049 OG and an abv around 5% to keep it drinkable. 36 IBUs. 50 EBC.

Everything set up ready to go when we get back from under 9s rugby!

Porter

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_095050~2.jpg
    IMG_20230204_095050~2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 0
Feels like it's been a looong time since I last put a brew on - I'll need to check, but it might have been the tropical stout for the winter swap. Anyway, today I brewed my Mk IV German Pilsner. Mk I and II were OK but Mk III was a drain cleaner due to no temp control and an unexpected week of warm weather 🤦‍♂️...

However, I now have a spare undercounter fridge, an inkbird and a heat mat (to be upgraded to a tube heater at some point, if need be). Brew day went as well as it could, considering I had to meet the demands of a 9 year old boy and a 2 year old cockapoo. 13L of yummy tasting wort is currently fermenting at a steady 14 degC. 😁

My plans quickly changed today as I had less grain left than I thought so did a use-up brew, sort-of Draught Bass but with some late hops to use up my home-grown Challenger, OG 1044, IBU 27, Maris Otter, Crystal and Challenger at 60/10/0.

22 litres of American Amber Ale
3000g MO
1000g Red X
500g Munich light
300g Crystal 45L
Mash 24 litres @67C, Sparge 8 litres @75C
45 minutes boil
25g Columbus @45m
10g Chinook @10m
25g Chinook @85C WP for 20m
CML Horn yeast @30C
OG 1052 BHE 77%

IMG_20230217_171922688.jpg
Been ages since I last brewed, life has been complicated lately. However I've cultured up some yeast from a bottle in the fridge labelled 'English ale mix' - suspect it's a combination of wy1469 and something else. Starter is looking healthy. Found some odds and sods of grain up in the loft that I can put together to make a close approximation of The Kernel's India export porter. Will be using some hedgerow hops I froze last autumn for the late additions. Brew on! 🙂

My (small) freezer is full of hops. I really need to do some small batch user-uppers. So, starting today, and just making this up as I go along...

Target 10 litre batch:
2000 g Best Ale
50 g Caramunich
20 g First Gold @60
10 g First Gold @-10
US-05 Yeast.

Because of my cavalier approach to getting air in, I'm steering clear of dry-hopping. I'll see how this goes, and will try similar with different hops later.

Any comments welcome.

Brew # 83. 23 litre Mini mash Nelson Sauvin pale ale:

1.5kg Light LME
1.0 kg Light DME
0.35kg Wheat DME
0.2 kg carapils
0.2kg light crystal
Grains steeped 45 min in 3 l tap water @ about 67 degrees

35g Magnum @ 60 min
25g Citra @ 5 min
40g Nelson Sauvin @ 0 min, 75 degrees
Yeast M54 California lager rehydrated, pitched at 22

OG 1043 bang on target. IBU's around 27 for my mini 8l boil. Target FG 1009. Hopefully around 4.5% ABV.

Planning a hop tea of more NS a couple of days before racking off. The Nelson Sauvin was a gift - I see its a year out of date! Still sealed though. Never used it before so we'll see.

Latest posts

Back