What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew day set back. It doesn't take much to short out a board. Filled SVB with 32 litres of water turned on unit to display temperature, went off to mill grain came back could smell electrical fire and temperature was erratic. Disconnected, emptied out the water took out board culprit found one cockroach! This is a reason why I keep multiples of all my brewing gear. Unforeseen circumstances.
IMG_6137.JPG

Brewed this week: Southern brown ale from the GH book . Masked the pale grains and did a warm steep of the dark. Unfortunately c**ked up my volumes so ended up with about 4.6 gallons instead of 4. Should still end up at about 2.8% abv which is the same as Mann's.
Also bottled 43 bottles of Grisette, from Markowskis Farmhouse Ales.

Brew day set back. It doesn't take much to short out a board. Filled SVB with 32 litres of water turned on unit to display temperature, went off to mill grain came back could smell electrical fire and temperature was erratic. Disconnected, emptied out the water took out board culprit found one cockroach! This is a reason why I keep multiples of all my brewing gear. Unforeseen circumstances.
View attachment 83286
Could you post the recipe for cockroach beer? :laugh8:

Might need a little ventilation for cooling? Maybe block with mesh
I have small vents but there are slots big enough for an intruder to get in where the fastening screws are. That is the point of access, I don’t mind them in the compost heap breaking down the waste. It’s when they go hunting for a massive sugar hit in my SVB. I had one lodged in the return pipe once, finished the brew and it got flushed out during the clean up!

I have small vents but there are slots big enough for an intruder to get in where the fastening screws are. That is the point of access, I don’t mind them in the compost heap breaking down the waste. It’s when they go hunting for a massive sugar hit in my SVB. I had one lodged in the return pipe once, finished the brew and it got flushed out during the clean up!
You've got to admire their ambition... I sometimes get the same problem with little fruit flies turning up out of nowhere during the runoff: they must be able to smell sugar from a mile away

So today went ahead with my Foreign Extra Stout, had to go to the 70 litre for a 19 litre brew, thanks to the cockroach. First off while the mash was on making the sour. Dregs from previous brews bottled for either starters, top ups or sours.
IMG_6144.JPG IMG_6146.JPG
Adding the roast barley at mash out, then vorlauf removing any debris before the boil.
IMG_6141.JPG IMG_6143.JPG
After the boil was over and safely tucked away in the fermenter.
IMG_6147.JPG

So today went ahead with my Foreign Extra Stout, had to go to the 70 litre for a 19 litre brew, thanks to the cockroach. First off while the mash was on making the sour. Dregs from previous brews bottled for either starters, top ups or sours.
View attachment 83322 View attachment 83323
Adding the roast barley at mash out, then vorlauf removing any debris before the boil.
View attachment 83324 View attachment 83329
After the boil was over and safely tucked away in the fermenter.
View attachment 83328
Could you include the recipe and explain the sour process. I might give this a go 👌

Great brewing weekend. I've been wanting to perfect my interpretation of Oakham's Bishop's Farewell, which is an easy enough recipe of 92% MOLO and 8% wheat malt, bittered wth Challenger and loads and loads of Cascade in the finish. That's getting done this morning, but since I had a bag each of NZH-101 (as yet unnamed) and NZH-102 (Superdelic) I thought I'd sub those into the recipe, so the 101 used Green Bullet for bittering (don't know why I didn't just use the rest of the bag of 101 for bittering) and the 102 version gets 102 for everything and nicely uses up the 100g bag in 20L. That was the weekend's brewing. As I've got plenty of leaf Cascade left I think I'll rediscover my love of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale tomorrow or Wednesday. Four brews and 80 litres of the good stuff isn't a bad showing.

Great brewing weekend. I've been wanting to perfect my interpretation of Oakham's Bishop's Farewell, which is an easy enough recipe of 92% MOLO and 8% wheat malt, bittered wth Challenger and loads and loads of Cascade in the finish. That's getting done this morning, but since I had a bag each of NZH-101 (as yet unnamed) and NZH-102 (Superdelic) I thought I'd sub those into the recipe, so the 101 used Green Bullet for bittering (don't know why I didn't just use the rest of the bag of 101 for bittering) and the 102 version gets 102 for everything and nicely uses up the 100g bag in 20L. That was the weekend's brewing. As I've got plenty of leaf Cascade left I think I'll rediscover my love of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale tomorrow or Wednesday. Four brews and 80 litres of the good stuff isn't a bad showing.
Wow! Admire your effort there 👍🏻

Busy on my IX iteration of my "Blinde Hendrik" (Blind Henry). Yesterday, mashing, today boiling. Sparged maybe a little too fast, 2 points lower on expected OG. No big deal.

Could you include the recipe and explain the sour process. I might give this a go 👌
The sour you can use any wort, this batch I have used 2.75 litres for the sour. Use some Sour Pitch lactic acid bacteria, doesn't take much 1g per 10 litre.
My recipe is for 19 litres (keep in mind the sour you are going to add) 5.5 kg pale malt, 0,75 kg flaked barley in the mash 400g of roast barley added for 20 minute mash out, this is for 19 litres 'no sparge' 75 minute mash at 66C 60 minute boil adding 48g of Target at beginning of boil. Yeast of choice I used Irish Ale yeast.
Once the sour has finished fermenting cold crash to drop yeast pour into a saucepan and bring up to 80C, cool and add to main batch when it has finished fermenting.

I thought 2 litres was enough sour, one judge said it was the best home brewed Foreign Extra Stout he had had, another said it needed more sour? Well I have added extra sour and will be putting this stout into the Stout Extravaganza comp so will see how it goes.

Just mashed in on a 23L batch of Weissbier (using thé Greg Hughes recipe so 2.7KG of Wheat and 2.3KG of Pilsner), I have also opted to add half a kilo of Wheat DME to hopefully compensate for the lowish efficiency I always seem to get when I have a lot of wheat in the mix.

Yeast wise I am giving WHC Banana Split a try it’s a new one for me but I thought why not.

Last edited:
I've just started a YouTube channel for my brewing and other ventures. Here's a video of my English Porter brew day

Tawney Town Brown Ale - 5L Recipe kit from The Malt Miller:
Beer Style (main): British Ales
Beer Style (sub): English-Style Brown Ale
Batch Size: 5l started with 9L, ended with ca. 6.4L post-boil
Original Gravity: 1.044 came in spot on!
Final Gravity: 1.011 hopefully
ABV %: 4.3
IBU: 20
Photo of grain bill below...
THE MASH - BIAB
Temperature °C: 65 mashed in at 70 ended at 62 (used an old sweater to insulate)
Length (mins): 60
THE BOIL
Boil time (mins): 30 at first I thought 60mins might be better (why?) then I opted for 45mins
Additions and timing:
7g East Kent Goldings @ 30mins add 45mins
3g East Kent Goldings @ 0min
Yeast: Lalbrew London – English Ale Yeast
Fermentation temperature/steps: 18c – 7-10 days started bubbling after 3 hours - temp just under 20C

The colour is a lovely deep brown (what else) - nice EKG aroma - tastes nice - a good start.

Sorry no other pix, standard stove top equipment, 2.8kW induction plate, 15L stockpot, 10L Genius FV
Tawny_02.jpg

Latest posts

Back